epilogue

Author's Note: Generally, I'm one for open endings, and I actually loved how I ended this story in chapter sixteen, but I had gotten plenty of questions about some ~loose ends~ and I felt that since The Carter Project readers have been some of my favorite readers, I was totally fine with writing an epilogue. This is also a thank you for 200,000 reads! I never imagined getting that many, you guys are amazing! So please bear with Mia being Mia for one last chapter and I hope you all enjoy this! —tay :)

(this takes place 1 year later)

+ 1

THE LOOK ON his face was priceless. So I had no idea how mine looked.

          "Mia, Holy shit," David all but yelped, jumping up and down in glee. "You got into Princeton, Mia! Princeton!"

          I was well aware of that much, it just didn't sink in quickly enough being that only twenty minutes had passed after I had found out myself.

In fact, it had all started with me opening an email from the Princeton office of undergraduate admissions in my class before we had to read a section of the book we were discussing all by ourselves; a perfect opportunity for some downtime. Most people used that time to play games in class, check social media, or text their friends but I just wanted to read my emails because I had nothing else better to do. I didn't play any mobile games that I would have on my school tablet, my socials weren't as desolate as they were before my sudden spike in popularity and visibility last year but they weren't distractingly buzzing with life either, and texting David or Rita was fruitless when my friends took things about school as seriously as I did.

          This led to me being able to focus on anything else besides telling my best friends and my family. And I just happened to run into David right after class because his was right next door.

          "I know, I'm as shocked as you are," I said, blinking back the tears that were definitely on their way out. "Like, I literally never expected anything like this!"

          David rolled his eyes, as if to say I knew that I would get into an Ivy League school one way or another, and I guess he had a point. Landon breaking up with me last year wasn't the deterrent it had seemed to be. Even if my life went in a slightly different way than I planned for it to. I buckled down and braced the changes in my life soon after, pulling my weight up as well as my grade point average. It just barely made the cut at a 3.95, but my track record with extra curricular activities and my standardized testing scores really must've came through to seal the deal. It was definitely a close call, not a sure bet in any sense, but all that mattered to me was that I made it in at all.

          Of course, all I cared about besides Jack and Ryan coming up behind David and I, Jack pulling my friend into a noogie that looked almost deadly despite the pure intentions behind it while Ryan draped his arm over my shoulders.

          "You told this guy that you got into Princeton and not us," Ryan started accusingly, a devilish smile on his face. "Or even Carter for that matter?"

          "Tsk, tsk, Mia," Jack said as he let David go free to move closer towards me. "I thought we were friends, I'm hurt right now."