A Different Author

"Lynn what're you doing here?!" His voice is extremely dry, showing he's been deprived of water, and he struggles to move, as he's in chains.

"James. What happened?!" I start examining his bruises and scars.

"Lynn, you need to get out, now."

"Not until you tell me what happened." I reply to his demand.

"Why did you put the ad in the paper if you didn't-" I continue but he cuts me off.

He has an odd expression on his face of utter confusion.

"I-Lynn-- I didn't put an ad in the paper," he says.

My eyes widen.

"Yes, yes, yes, you did! You outlined it with letters telling me to go to an address and--"

He cuts me off again.

"Lynn, I'm telling you, I did not put an ad in the paper."

"Then who did?" I whisper to him.

"I did." They whisper in unison.

I turn around, praying it's not what I think it is. Hushes.

"We figured a clever girl like you would put the pieces together, but with minor errors." They continue. "Lynn, get out of my cell, now.---"

"And how am I exactly going to do that?! It's locked, genius." I go over to the guard, who's trying to strategize how to get out of this situation and has the look of worry on his face, I make him turn his face, and I say "Keys." He understands and gives me them hurriedly.

I unlock James's chains, then I unlock the cell.

"C'mon!" I motion to both of them. They follow, as I find my way through the dimly lit halls. I hear the Hushes come closer, as they get louder. We keep running, until I find a wooden door with a broken lock. I pull it open, to find a metal spiral staircase.

It's really high up and really narrow. I take a deep breath. "Go!" James says, freaking out. "Okay, okay!"

I start up, as fast as I can, and the boys follow. It takes us about 5 minutes to get halfway up, when I look down, and there they are.

Hushes flowing through the door below us. When all of a sudden, James says "My book manipulator."

"What?!" I say, confused.

"My book manipulator. When it got its update. It can teleport places other than books too."

I grab James's wrist, where the book manipulator is placed, and ask the guard "Aren't you coming?!"

He stares down blankly at the Hushes and just replies with "No." then he keeps running up the stairs.

James gives a confused face, then enters the coordinates.

---------------------

And we're outside Brelling's.

"Lynn, I think we should take a break for today."  James says without hesitation, although his eyes seem distant, and he just walks off.

I don't try to tell him to come back, nor do I chase after him.

I just go inside the store and get to work.

"Where th'heck have you been?!" Claire asks me while she's organizing books.

"Nowhere." I say.

She rolls her eyes.

"Well you must have been somewhere,  your aunt called quite a few times, she went to visit your uncle in the next state over,"

"Get to work." she continues.

I start without hesitation, because while I work, I have time to think. Time to think about my choices with James.

Or re-think, that is.