Chapter 3

I was on my way home when I heard the screaming. Followed by a power-hungry laugh that I quickly recognized.

I darted behind a dumpster in the nearest alley and went ghost. As I shot into the air to determine Spectra's exact location I saw him.

If my heart didn't stop in ghost form it would have skipped a beat or two.

Wes was walking straight towards Spectra and seemed to be glaring at the ground so hard that he had no idea what was happening around him.

Spectra must have sensed the worry coming from me as she turned around to look at me and then at the person my gaze had been directed towards. A malicious grin broke out on her face and she grabbed him.

"My my sweetheart. The hate brewing in that little head of yours is absolutely delicious."

At least Wes was finally paying attention.

"Step away from him Spectra, now." I commanded

"What does in matter to you freak?" She hissed and I flinch at the word.

"Isn't this the kid who spent years trying to give away your secret and making your life harder? Are you sure you don't want me to make him feel as bad as you always do?"

Okay as bad as the situation was at least Spectra was one of the few ghosts that had some subtlety. He would thank her but he could see the drops of blood staining Wes' shirt because of her claw-like fingernails.

"Get away from him now and don't make me say it again. You won't like the consequences." I said, anger working its way into my voice.

"Well, if you insist."

My dumb ass sighed in relief, actually thinking it was going to be that easy.

"But on second thought, I think I'll take my chances." And with that she threw Wes towards the nearest wall.

Without even thinking I darted after him, hearing Spectra laughing as she flew away behind me. I grabbed Wes but didn't have time to avoid the wall. On instinct I turned us around as my back collided with the brick wall and I felt something snap, probably a rib.

Wes started to get up so I released my arms from around him and sat up, checking to make sure that Spectra was not waiting to attack again. Then I looked at Wes, about to ask if he was okay.

"Don't touch me freak"

Okay, ouch. I'm normally really good at letting people's words roll off my back. Hearing the person that I've been head-over-heels in love with for over a year call me a freak hurt though. I had thought we were okay after he stopped trying to expose my secret to everyone.

"I'm so sorry," I say, rolling my eyes to mask the hurt, "Next time I'll make sure to let you hit the wall and die while I go catch the ghost."

I saw Wes glare harder at me and say something before walking away but I couldn't understand anything that he was saying. I must have hit my head harder than I thought.

My vision swayed when I finally stood up but I would have to manage. Leaving Spectra to do as she pleased was dangerous. She did less destroying buildings and more destroying people's minds which is infinitely worse.

I can save people from crumbling buildings. That was easy. Swoop in and fly them to safety, hold the structure up until everyone was out, I do that all the time. But with Spectra I have to prevent it beforehand because the damage done to people's mind's couldn't be fixed as easily as a building.

With those thoughts and a new determination I fly off to finder.

^^^^^^^^^

Some time later I phase into my bedroom, bleeding profusely. Spectra had shoved her claws into my stomach while her little pet had me distracted and the bleeding still hadn't stopped.

I took off my shirt after transforming back in order to access the rest of my injuries. Two broken ribs from the wall, the rest of them bruised. Okay, I could wrap those but they would take the rest of the weekend to heal. The wound in my stomach would need stitches but should be scarred over by tomorrow. There wasn't much I could do for my back though, with Tucker on a trip with his family and Sam... well that's a whole other can of worms.

Suddenly I hear the door knob being turned.

"Oh shit" I exclaim as I grab the blanket from my bed and toss it completely over me.

Okay maybe not my best plan, too late now.

"What the fuck are you doing?"