17

"It's obvious what he wants."

Evan raised an eyebrow at me, "My stitches are making me loopy, my brains not functioning if you haven't noticed."

The police had called my Mum and got her to bring me into the station as Adam Baker had handed himself in, so it was the day after I'd been brought in to identify Adam. Julia, Evan and I all had to identify him to confirm he was my 'attacker' as a precaution. Yesterday, I'd left the station without giving them an answer, just craving sleep.
But the main reason I didn't want to stay any longer was because of the sentence he mouthed at me through the one way glass, as if he had sensed my presence;

"I know who A is."

Many theories were filling my already over worked brain, but the main one was that he'd been following me and found out about A, and was now using it as a way to manipulate me. He was a psychopath after all.

Hanna had been released from hospital, but was bound to a wheelchair and sported a large cast on her leg. The girls had found a message from A on her cast, accompanying the other signatures and messages, which she desperately attempted to cover up with a comical sticker. Everyone else was at school, but Hanna was home due to her injury and I convinced my Mum to let me have the day off because of the Adam Baker stress.

Evan and I were walking along the street to Hanna's house, he'd insisted on escorting me. After the other girls left, I had decided to visit her. I knew that they were all curious as to what was going on with Ian and what was happening to Adam. And I didn't feel like telling them to be honest, "He only needs one of us to say it wasn't him who attacked me. And he knows that I know that if I get him locked up he'll never tell me who A is. He mouthed that to me so I'd let him be released and then he'd presumably tell me. But what if he doesn't know and it's all just an evil act to try and lure me into his tr-"

Evan coughed and interrupted my mindless rambling, "You're making my brain hurt even more, God."

"Evan, the guy's a complete nutter. He probably has a shack in the woods with stuffed animals in or something." I grimaced as we reached the front door.

He turned to me and smirked, "Probably wants to make you the newest addition to his collection."

I pretended to gag and the two of us giggled loudly, filling the quiet street with sound.

"I'm just kidding, I'll see you when school's finished?" Evan said, pressing a small kiss onto my forehead.

"See you later." I smiled as he began walking back down the path.

I entered Hanna's house to see her in the kitchen fumbling about with some cardboard boxes. As soon as she heard me she chucked them into a nearby cupboard and and smiled widely. Hastily, I shut the door and went into the kitchen and chucked my bag onto the kitchen counter.

Hanna's face automatically went back to a neutral expression and I furrowed my brows, confused at her sudden expression change, "What's wrong?"

Hanna huffed and looked directly at me whilst I hoisted myself onto a kitchen stool, "The others wanted me to talk to you about something and I want to get it out of the way."

Curiosity fluttered onto my face, "What?"

"They...we think you've become really distant recently, and we don't feel like you're telling us anything."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I shot back, maybe a little too hostile.

Hanna opened her mouth to speak, but stopped and instead pulled out her phone and unlocked it. With a small tapping sound, she brought up a text message conversation and held her phone out. Gently, I slid off the stool and took the mobile from her outstretched hand.