20

"What happened?" I demanded.

Evan stirred noisily, only just waking up. I know it seemed harsh to question him right away, but with the fright he gave me he deserved a slap, so a rude awakening was fair enough. The brunette boy squinted as the hospital lights were very bright, and he tried to prop himself up, "What do you mean? Where am I?"

"Evan, I found you last night in the church. You hit your head and were unconsciousness next to an empty bottle of whiskey. What on god's green earth did you do?" I said slowly, not knowing if the words were registering in his brain.

"I-I don't know. I was crashing at Lucas' and then I got upset about what happened between us again so I left. I stole the bottle from his parents' alcohol cabinet and must've drank it. I remember going into the church and then...I...I was pushed." Evan stammered out.

My eyes widened and I sat on the bed, "What do you mean, pushed?"

Evan stayed silent and didn't reply, his eyes filling with tears whilst he fumbled about with his hospital gown. The bandage on his head moved as he furrowed his brows in thought, "I was stood in the aisle, and then someone pushed me. They...they pushed me into the gap between the pews and then grabbed my head and then smashed it against the floor. I can't remember anything after that. I'm sorry, Yara."

My face was a picture of complete horror, "You don't remember anything because the blow knocked you out. Do you have any idea who it could've been?"

"It was probably a grown man, they were relatively strong, but I didn't see them. Or maybe I did and I don't remember. I don't know. It could've been anyone. But why? Why would anyone do that? Or did I imagine it or did I-"

I interrupted Evan's rambling, "You're spiralling. Just...breath, ok? If you recall being pushed then you probably were. Just...don't ever run away like that again. Your Grandma and I were frightened to death."

It felt as if I was speaking to a child, telling him off. But it was true, that night was one of the most scary experiences. The image of Evan, collapsed on the ground with blood around his head would forever be engrained into my mind. The feeling I got when I realised it was him was indescribable. A mixture of panic, sadness and fear was the only way I could put it into words.

"Is there still a chance. For us?" Evan asked, going to hold my hand.

I allowed him to link hands with me and I sighed, "We'll talk about us, I promise. But I just need time right now. There's so much going on with A and my family and I don't want to rush any decisions. But I know you're truly sorry for what you did, and that means a lot."

"Thank you. Do you have my phone, I want to call my Grandma."

"Yeah, it was in your pocket, it should be in your drawer." I said, getting up off the bed and opening the drawer of the plain bedside cabinet.

The phone screen beeped automatically onto text messages when I turned it on along with the missed calls and voicemails from various people. I scanned the messages, my name right at the top. I let my eyes wander down the screen, and then the message that stood out to me appeared. My stomach churned, and as I turned the screen towards Evan he paled too.

There's a surprise waiting for you in the church, better hurry before they go,

kisses,

-A

"I don't remember getting that."

"Evan, whoever attacked you was the 'surprise.'" I concluded out loud.

"I don't know who it was. I wish I did. Or was it just A setting up a trap?"