No Matter What

Tauriel through the halls of the palace, politely trying to avoid everyone who came in her path. She needed to find Legolas. Now that she had an idea, she couldn't let go of it. It burned in her chest until she finally accomplished the task that she had set out to do. She knew that Legolas was going to leave soon and set out on his own, to avenge his mother or something, so she had to find him quickly. She ran out to the training courts, where she found Legolas with two throwing daggers. 

"Legolas, you hit an orc in the center of its head as it was trying to kill Thorin."

"Actually, Tauriel, I missed the center by 1/2 an inch. I need to work on my aim."

Tauriel gave him an exasperated half smile, then abruptly stopped. Didn't want to lead him on too much: best to get down to business right away.

"Legolas, you owe me a favor."

"I do?" he answered, with feigned curiosity.

"Remember that orc?"

"Oh, Morgoth," Legolas swore.

50 years ago, as Legolas was hunting with Tauriel after a Great Feast, a hungry orc snuck up on him. Legolas had had too much fine elvish wine the night before at the feast, and his reflexes were not at their finest. Tauriel killed the orc with a dagger to the heart right as its blade was an inch from Legolas' head. They had never spoken of the moment, to spare Legolas' humiliation. But desperate times called for desperate measures, and Tauriel needed all the blackmail power she could get.

"What do you want me to do?" Legolas said reluctantly. 

Tauriel took a deep breath and avoided Legolas' eyes. She knew he wouldn't understand. 

"You remember Kili, I assume?" She asked quietly.

Legolas' eyes turned hard as they met hers. "Oh, you mean the 'tall' dwarf. The one who you gave half of your immortality to?" His tone was cool and collected, but the last sentence shouted at her. Tauriel winced. She knew it wouldn't go over very well.

"Yes, Legolas, the one and only." She couldn't show doubt. "I need to find him. King Thranduil himself--your father--said...well, he said that our love was real. I need to find him, Legolas, surely you can understand that? But I need your help. I can't go by myself. And I would appreciate the company...." Tauriel trailed off. Yes, that was leading him on a bit. But could she help it? She needed to get to Kili. Elves only have one true love their entire life: if something happens to their love, then they will never be the same again. She had no hesitation that Kili was her true love: after all, she had sacrificed half of her immortality. He made her laugh, and smile, and feel like she  never had before. She needed to be with him, no matter what.

Legolas sighed loudly. Suddenly, his two blades whacked into the target right after another with a flick of his hand: thump, thump. As he trudged over to retrieve them, Tauriel barely heard him mutter,

"All right. I'll go."