Nineth Kiss

When we got back to the hospital, neither of us spoke. We just sat in the car in silence. I stared outside, my brain turning 300 miles a minute. I could feel Hunter's burn in the side of my head, but I ignored it. "Why do you always want to help me?" I finally asked. I didn't understand it. Ever since he has got here, he has been there to catch me when I fall.

Hunter sighed, his fingers drumming against the steering wheel. "Maybe I relate to you." He stated and I stared at him. "How? How could you possibly understand what I'm going through?" I whispered. He wasn't there. He didn't create this mess. He didn't have to feel like a murderer everyday of his life.

"There's a lot you don't know about me, Cleo."

"Well then enlighten me," I laughed,"Because I'm sure you've never killed anyone."

I froze when his fist pounded against the steering wheel,"God, I feel like I take two steps forward and one step back with you." He shouted angrily and I gritted my teeth together. "Why can't you see I'm trying here?"

"Trying to what? What do you want from me, Hunter?" I shouted back, using my own fist to pound it against his arm. When I went for it again, he twisted around and stopped it, gripping my hand tightly.

"I barely spoke a word since the accident, and then you come here acting like your king fucking shit and turned me into-into," I tried to find the right wird, but nothing seemed appropriate.

"Into what?" He mocked angrily, gripping my hand tighter.

"Into a crazy bitch!" I finally screamed, breaking free from his grip. When I felt tears burn my eyes, I growled. "And I can't stop fucking crying. I can't stop crying."

I heard the click of Hunter's seat belt, and suddenly I was in his arms and he was soothing me by brushing his fingers through my hair.

"I can't stop." I said through tears, and he hushed me. "I just wish Henry would wake up so that everything could go back to the way it was, so that I could be who I used to be."

"Cleo, people don't change."

"What's that suppose to mean?" I asked, wiping my nose with my sleeve, despite how gross that is.

"I mean, people don't change, the environment their in does. How you feel has changed, but you haven't."

"Are you saying i've always been a crazy bitch?" I laughed lightly and he shrugged.

"Well, from what Henry has told me..." He trailed off and I gasped, making him laugh.

"You're such an idiot." I laughed, shoving his shoulder lightly.

"I'm kidding," He smiled,"but honestly Cleo, can you see what I'm trying to tell you?" He asked and I took a deep breath. I wasn't to know that man would be standing drunk in the middle of the road. I wasn't to know that the phone would go off. Most importanty, I wasn't to know I was going to crash. How could something unknown be controlled? It can't. Henry may be fighting for his life right now, but he is fighting hard. If this is what it took for one mans life to become better and for him to become stronger for the family he would be leaving behind, then one boy on life support is worth it. I know Henry is strong enough already. He will make it.

"It wasn't my fault." I said quietly.

It wasn't my fault.
--
That night after the hospital I went home, entering my front door quietly in case my mum was sleeping. I knew she wasn't when I saw the light in her bathroom and the sound of the running bath. She always loved baths, and the thought made me smile gently as I walked into her bathroom with a tap on the door. The water splashed and I giggled when she jumped up slightly.