Chapter Two : Do They Know?

"Lisa, Order pick up for table three." The chef said out of the kitchen window as he placed a tray on the counter.
   " Got it " she replied as she approached the counter and picked the tray up.

   She started walking in the direction of table three when she felt a sudden chill as if it was a premonition. She shook it off and told herself she was just being paranoid.
   " I mean what is the worst that could happen when I'm waiting tables, right?" She asked herself as she took a detour to the table so that she could grab a few spoons.

   She was just a few feet away from the table when she noticed that everyone at the table was looking at her. Especially one of the two guys sitting next to each other who had an expression unlike the others. He was more shocked and after quickly recovering from it, his eyes looked at her in a questioning manner.

   Suddenly she felt that they looked familiar. " Where do I know these four from ?" She thought.
She quickly replaced the troubled expression on her face with a smile and served the dishes.
   " Thank you !" They all said warmly after she was done. She smiled back and walked away from the table in haste while trying not to make it look obvious.

   She quickly opened the staff door and rushed in, her thoughts racing like a formula one car in her head.

   After a few minutes of concentrated recollection, it struck her that they were in the same class as her. Her eyes widened and her breathing shallowed as she recalled the expression of one of the guys sitting there.
   " The others seem oblivious, but his expression seemed like he knew who I am !" She thought as she slowly sat in a chair as she tried to wrap her head over what just happened.

  " That's not possible! Nobody knows how I look like without my hair covering my face in school!" She repeated to herself to calm herself down.

   " But all of them were looking at me, I wonder why ?" she thought as she leaned her head back into the chair and stretched, the way she always does when she's stressed.

   The door opened and the second waitress at the diner walked in.
   " Are you alright, Lisa?" She asked with concern.
   " I'm fine Marie, thanks for asking. " Lisa said with a smile. Marie frowned and said, "No, you do not look like you're fine ." And crossed her arms which as everyone around her knew was a showcase of her dissatisfaction.

   " I'm just not feeling very well. And the fact that I've got a lot of thoughts in my head which are weighing me down right now is not helping." Lisa said and gave out a sigh. Marie looked at the troubled Lisa and said " Alrighty then, go and have the day off today !"

   "Huh? What? " Lisa asked as she processed what Marie had just said.
   " You look like you need some rest, Lisa. And besides, you've not taken a single day off since you started working here two months ago! " Marie said.
   " Are you sure? Can you manage to wait on all the tables on your own?" Lisa asked.
   " Of course I can! It's a Wednesday evening, so there's not much rush!" Marie said as she gave Lisa a huge smile.

   " Thanks so much!" Lisa said as she changed back into her normal clothes and placed the waitress uniform in her locker.
   " Tell Mr.Brad that I'm taking today off then! Oh and also, can you do me a favor?" Lisa asked just as she was about to leave through the back door.
   "Sure, what should I do ?" Marie asked immediately.
   " If the customers at table three ask anything about me, please make up something about me!" Lisa said with a pleading tone.
    "Um, ok. Not going to ask why, but fine ." Marie said scrunching her face up a bit.
   " Thanks a ton! Bye! " Lisa said as she sped off without sparing a second glance back at the diner. A huge wave of relief spread over her as she got herself away from there.

   She got on a bus and was heading home. On her way back she kept thinking about their expressions.
   " It's probably just me being paranoid. I mean how could he or my other classmates sitting there know that it's me?" She thought.
   " It's fine, they don't know. They definitely don't. " She thought with a sense of finality and smiled a little to boost her confidence about the matter.