Chapter 3: Suspicion

I can't stop fidgeting in the back seat of this police car. The guy, who I'm guessing is an FBI agent asks, "You seem quite nervous?"

I scoff, and say, "My entire life I've never been in a police car. I'm not a criminal." I look out the window at the passing buildings. They're just going to ask me a few questions then I can go home. I take a deep breath. I catch Officer Ramsey looking back at me in the rear view mirror. When I catch his glance he quickly looks back at the road.

I'm starting to get nervous. I didn't do anything wrong I was just walking I was just walking... in the snow in the cold but that isn't a crime I accidentally trespassed I didn't mean to But I haven't hurt anyone... I'm just curious She was my friend right Yeah I'm a concerned friend just a concerned friend I cared about her I wouldn't hurt her at all I wouldn't hurt anyone shit I didn't hurt anyone but the sight of her blood it made me excited I had to see more- STOP IT!

"You okay back there? Looks like you have a lot on your mind."

I look up at the FBI agent. "Who are you?" He smirks and answers, "I'm SSA Mason Carter. I'm with the behavioral analysis unit in the FBI."

Behavioral analysis unit?! They focus on behavior, no wonder he noticed my oddness. I have to get my thoughts in order, can't let him read me...

I clear my throat and I ask, "SSA? What does that mean?"

"Supervisory special agent. But don't let that worry you. I can clearly see you had nothing to do with this."

Before I could answer, Officer Ramsey announces, "We're here."

I look out the window in shock. There are news vans everywhere. Reporters are surrounding the police station. If they tried, they could probably overthrow the police. Agent Carter quickly says, "Keep your head down, don't need rumors starting about you. Put your jacket over your head, I'll lead you."

Once the crowd realize we pulled up, they started going bananas. Crowding the car, flashes of light everywhere, so many questions being asked- most of them repeatedly. I do as Agent Carter says and put my jacket over my head. I hear his door open and he starts shouting. Then my door opens and his strong hands grab my arms and pulls me out the car. Under my jacket, I cover my ears from the noise. I feel the vibration coming from Carter still yelling against my arm. Suddenly it's quiet and Carter let's go of me.

I remove my hands from my ears and slowly slip my jacket off my head. I'm safely inside the police station. "Right this way, Ms. Moore." I follow Officer Ramsey to what I correctly assume is the interrogation room. I laugh nervously and say, "Feels like I'm in a tv show."

Officer Ramsey looks at me, his eyes glistening with sorrow, he says sternly, "This isn't a tv show."

He quickly turns and leaves, closing the door behind him. I stand there, embarrassed. I don't want them thinking I'm making light of the situation. I take a seat facing the one-way mirror. Despite my remark, I am using my knowledge of crime shows to know where to sit.

I look up at the one-way mirror and realize they're probably watching me right now. That thought starts to make me feel paranoid.

Finally, the door opens and Agent Carter comes in and sits down across from me. He smiles and says, "How are you doing this evening, Rachael?"

I shrug my shoulders and answer, "I'm doing fine, I guess."

He intertwines his fingers and places them on the table. He says, "I understand this being a difficult time, not only because of this terrible crime, but also because Anne Jackson was your friend. I understand that you two would occasionally go out for drinks?"

He's done his research.

I nod and say, "Occasionally." He looks at me hard, as if he's studying every word that comes out of my mouth. "How long have you known Anne?"

"Well, she's been working at the store for a year now, but the first time we went out for drinks would be six months after she started working for me."

He stares at me before saying, "Right. When was the last time you've seen her?"

I give myself second to think about it. "Um, last Saturday I think. We went for drinks. I kinda took it too far that night."

"What do you mean?" He asks, genuinely curious.

I sigh and answer, "I had too much to drink, she had to take me home that night. I usually don't drink that much, but for some reason, I overloaded."

He slowly nods. "Anne wasn't acting strange? Did she say anything that seemed unusual to you?"

I look at him confused, "Uh, no. Nothing. Why?"

He looks me dead in the eyes and says, "Because Rachael, Anne Jackson was murdered that night and kept until yesterday when she was displayed in the men's restroom of your store."

My heart starts pounding. He sternly asks, "Did you not notice her missing for a week?"

"I-I-"

"Did anyone bring up her disappearance?"

"I don't -"

He slams his hands on the desk, "How does no one notice a 22 year old missing from this small town!?"

"Wait! Wait!"

Suddenly, I remember something important. I stutter, "I-I remember r-receiving a email from h-her. I found it strange because she was usually professional and followed the rules. But she said how she was going out of town to see her family. I let it slide because we were friends."

He studies my face, trying to see if I'm telling the truth. I don't know if the terror in my eyes are enough for him. He immediately leaves the room. I take a deep breath and put my head in my hands. What the fuck, man? That was insane.

A moment later, Officer Ramsey comes in and tells me he'll be escorting me out the back and taking me back home. I ask, "I'm done here?"

He nods. I get up and follow him out.

*5 minutes earlier: NARRATOR*

Agent Carter stares into Rachael's eyes to see if she's telling the truth. He notices her fear and backs off. He immediately leaves the room and tells his team to look into Rachael's and Anne's emails. "I want to know everyone they've ever spoke to!"

His team immediately gets to work. He calls Officer Ramsey over. "Take her home through the back." Officer Ramsey nods and goes to take Rachael home.

As Rachael and Officer Ramsey are leaving, Agent Carter gets a gut feeling that something is suspicious about her. Agent Anderson comes up to him. He asks, "What do you think about Rachael? She clean?"

Agent Carter stares at Rachael as she leaves. He says, "She's hiding something. But we'll find out what."