Chapter 2: New Obsession

The news of the murder is all over TV. I guess it was so gruesome that big news stations wanted to air it as well. CNN, Fox News, World News, even late night shows are mentioning the murder to show support in finding the guy.

I've been keeping up with the story because nothing like this has ever happened here. Anne Jackson didn't even grow up here. She moved here two years ago and she always said how she loved the quiet little town. She was always so nice, I don't see how or why someone would ever want to hurt her. The main question is who did this, because this is a little town and no one here feels safe anymore. I haven't seen any children having snowball fights or playing in the snow. No one wants to be outside. But Mayor Russel called a town meeting at the local center. I read the announcement in 'Blackpool News'. I guess it's a good idea to get people to calm down.

People need to calm down, but... I can't stop thinking about Zach's description of what he saw and the amount of blood I saw. I felt... drawn to it. Almost as if the blood itself was calling to me. I haven't been able to shake that feeling. It creeps up behind me and wraps its warm fingers around my neck and squeezes and I feel the adrenaline run through my veins. It excites me and I can't explain why. Anne died and I'm basically lusting over her blood. I feel like shit.

I get up from my couch and walk into the kitchen. I open the fridge, looking for a snack, my eyes come to rest on the ketchup. My heart starts thumping hard. I slam the fridge door and storm off into my room. I put on my boots and grab my winter coat. Maybe a walk will clear my mind. I grab my keys, making sure I lock up when I close the door behind me.

My neighbor's door cracks open and Mrs. Parker whispers, "Rachael, where are you going? Don't you know there's a killer lose?"

I look at her and smile, "I'm just going for a walk, Mrs. Parker."

She studies my face, "A walk? In this weather?"

I nod, "Yes, ma'am. Don't worry, I'll be safe."

I wave her off and start down the hall. I feel her eyes still watching me. I turn just in time to catch her eye, then she quickly shuts her door. Mrs. Parker has been in my business since I moved in here. I guess everyone has a nosy neighbor.

I walk down the stairs to the lobby. I live on the third floor and I've been taking the stairs since day one. I never liked elevators. The thought of being trapped in a metal box is worse than death. I stop at the buildings door and look at the snow outside. I can already feel the cold on my bare skin. The cold must be seeping through the door, spreading like a virus. I open the door and step outside. I pull my hoodie over my head and shove my hands in my pockets. I want to go back inside, but the cold is distracting me from thinking about...

I take a step onto the sidewalk, snow crunching under my boots. A slight breeze burns my cheeks, most likely turning them red. I tilt my head down and start walking. As I walk, I look at the buildings. The local library- I had my first kiss in there, in the nonfiction section. I smile thinking about it. Luke Morgan. He left town after he graduated. Wonder where he is now? Further down, I come across my job. I started working there two years ago. I was a role model employee because I wanted every raise and promotion I could get. I hated living with my parents after I failed traveling. They loved to rub it in my face.

Getting an urge, I slow down and turn into the parking lot. I start walking towards the building. The store's owner emailed and sent out a letter saying the same thing; they were the upmost apologetic for the events that have transpired and they are paying everyone regularly until the store opens back up in a week.

I guess that's good to know. They didn't however, mention Anne who worked there. That pissed me off. She worked there and deserved some kind of acknowledgement.

I step up to the front doors. The doors are automatic, but the police have made sure not a single person could get in. I cup my hands on the window and peer inside. I get a tingly feeling inside as my eyes come to rest on the restrooms in the back. The excitement is coming back. I want to see her body... I immediately back up from the window. "No, no, no. No I don't."

A police siren goes off right behind me and I jump as I turn around. Officer Ramsey steps out of his vehicle and asks, "Rachael, what are you doing out here in this weather?"

The passenger door opens and the guy who got me escorted out two days ago steps out. "Do you know this is a restricted area? Did you see the sign at the entrance of the parking lot?"

I started stammering as I looked towards the entrance of the parking. Before I could get a word out, the man says, "Ma'am do you mind coming down to the station, get you out of this cold, maybe answer a few questions?"

I clear my throat and answer, "Um, what for?"

He chuckles and says, "Well Ms. Moore, as a friend of Anne Jackson, it's important we talk to you. Cross you off our list of suspects." He smiles at me.

Suspect!?

"Um, yeah, yeah I'll come."