Chapter 1

When Skylar's father decides to let a troubled future UFC fighter live in their home, things change. But the question is, for better or for worse?

I leaned against the gym wall as the smell of sweat filled my nostrils. My legs ached after the mile walk from my school to this old gym. I dropped my twenty pound book-bag on the floor and sat down. I watched as the fighters punched the punching bags and fought in the rings on their first week of training. I saw my dad, the coach, motivating them. I've never watched them before. It's kind of scary. They're so angry and aggressive. Some of them were in their late teens and some were in their early twenties. They were all guys. Every single one of them. Some of them gave me glares, others looked me over in curiosity. This is not a good place for a petite 17 year old girl.

I sighed and continued to watch them, and eventually fell asleep against the wall.

Something hitting me in the face woke me up. And it hurt. It was a boxing glove.

"Hey, water girl! Get me some Gatorade! Stop laying around!" A fighter yelled at me.

I looked over to see my dad not even paying attention. I know he could hear this going on, hell everyone could, some guys even turned their heads. But my dad doesn't care. Like usual...

"You gonna listen or what? I don't got time for this, bitch." He spat at me. What a dick.

I quickly stood up and ran over to the case of Gatorades. I walked up to him and shakily handed it to him. He jerked it out of my hand and took a swig out of it, before throwing it back at me. I walked back to my original place and sat down. Can this day get any worse..

My dad walked up to me. "Training is going over time. You can walk home if you want, I'll be here all night." He told me.

"Oh okay," I said and picked up my bag. My house is only five miles away from here. Hah.

Right before I walked out the door I looked back one more time. I saw the fighter that yelled at me earlier looking me over in disgust. I walked as fast as I could away from that place. Hopefully I never have to go back.

An hour and a half later I finally got home. I cut on the oven and put a frozen pizza in. I'm used to cooking food for myself. Dad never cooks. I guess he doesn't know how to or something.

My night was long and boring. And I woke up the next day and got ready for school. The thing was, right when I was ready I realized my dad wasn't even home. I didn't have a ride to school. I sat around for a couple hours at home, but eventually got bored and lonely. I'm going to go to school.

Even if I have to walk to school again.

I jogged into the school doors as the rain poured down even harder. I sighed and walked into the bathroom. I was soaked from head to toe. I examined myself in the mirror, I looked horrible. My brown hair was a tangled mess and my mascara was dripping from my brown eyes. After I wiped my face and brushed my hair, I walked to the classroom. It was my 3rd block class. I missed 3 classes. It was 1:44 pm.

"Ms. Mathers, you're late." Mrs. Robin said to me as I sat down.

I sighed, "I know."

Everyone in the class laughed, well besides the teacher. I don't see what was so funny.

"Sky, you're soaked." Connor said from behind me.

"Yeah," I answered, disappointment in my voice.

"What happened?" he asked.

I turned around and gave him a look as to say shut up, because if the teacher hears that I'm having family problems again, I'll have to go back to a foster home.

"Tell me later." Connor said. "Oh, and Sky?"

"What?" I mumbled.

"Nice bra," he whispered in my ear and a shiver went through my body. I looked down and my blue bra was noticeable through my white wet shirt.

"Oh crap," I muttered. "Can I wear your sweatshirt? Please." I begged to him.

He smirked. "No, I like the view."

I rolled my eyes and frowned. "Please." I whispered.

"Nope." He said smiling. I turned around and decided to fake cry, that always makes him feel bad. Knowing what I've gone through the past couple of years.

I put my head down and made irregular breaths.

"Uh, Sky?" He asked. "Are you okay?"

I turned around and looked at him, making sure there was a frown on my face and tears leaving my eyes.

"Why does everyone hate me?" I whined and my lip trembled.

"I don't hate you!! I-I like you Sky! Don't cry...um, here have my sweatshirt." Connor said handing it over.

"Thanks. Do you want me to give it back before class is over so Carrie doesn't see?" I asked in a small voice. Carrie is his girlfriend, she's a little snobby bitch that gets mad when any girl gets near Connor.

"Oh, no. She'll understand. Don't worry about it." He said nicely.

"Actually she won't understand, but okay." I mumbled.

He chuckled from behind me. "Yeah you're probably right."

For the rest of the class, I zoned out like always. Connor playing with my hair made me sleepy but since I was so hungry I couldn't fall asleep.

The bell ringing made me get out of my seat. I started walking to my last class of the day. Gym. Or P.E. whatever you want to call it.

"Connor get in front of me." I said as Carrie came into view.

"What? Why?" He asked.

"The devil is coming straight towards me," I whispered and he laughed. I got behind him and since I was so short, she didn't see me. She strutted right to Connor and grabbed his hand. She flipped her long light brown hair flirtatiously and giggled. She was annoying.

"Love you," she said to him. They have only been together for one week...

"Love you too baby" Connor said and hugged her.

I couldn't take it anymore. I walked away from them to the gym.

The gym smelt like sweat, and reminded me of that old gym I was in yesterday with the fighters. The memories from that night made me frown. I don't ever want to go back.

"Whatcha thinking about?" A familiar voice filled my head.

"Oh, hey Connor," I mumbled. Did I mention Connor is in my gym class too? Well he is.

"You zone out a lot. You should really get some medicine for that." He said, walking past me.

I rolled my eyes. "Geez, thanks Connor. You always manage to make me feel better," I stated sarcastically and started walking to the girls' locker room. He laughed and looked back at me.

"Wait, tell me why you were late to school," He told me.

I shook my head. "No, it doesn't matter," I said and quickly walked through the door before he could stop me.