Chapter 22 New friends and old

Jane Conway was a shy girl. She was never very confident in public, so she usually kept quiet. She was an only child. Most of the girls her age made fun of her, of her long copper colored hair and her freckles.

Emily Blackwood was different.

They had met a few years ago when Emily’s father was still alive. The Blackwood family had been hosting a party and Jane’s family had been invited.

The other children had shut her out again and she had ended up on a chair in a corner of the salon.

That’s when she had seen Emily. She had been quietly watching the guests.

When their looks had crossed, Emily had smiled hesitantly. And when she had answered that smile, Emily had wheeled towards her.

Only then had she noticed.

She knew what it was like to be different, when you were not accepted. They had been friends ever since.
They knew each other’s every secret.

That was why it was quite a shock when Jane had heard about Emily’s latest adventure.

“He is really very kind,” Emily said with her delicate voice.

“But a gypsy,” Jane gasped, “are you not afraid?”

Emily laughed softly. She pressed her fingers against her lips. “Harun is not dangerous. And you shouldn’t call him that. They don’t call themselves that.”

Jane looked at her friend uncertain. She wasn’t sure what to think. She had never met a gypsy. Her parents had always warned her to stay away from ‘those people’. They were supposedly untrustworthy and unpredictable. And they kidnapped children.

The garden door opened and Emily’s grandmother came in. Behind her, a young woman entered, carrying a basket with roses. She had sunburned skin and long dark curls.

“Leah,” Emily said happily, “come meet my friend Jane.”

“How kind of you, Emily, to greet your poor old grandmother,” Ruth shook her head.

Emily’s cheeks turned warm. “Forgive me, grandmamma, a lovely day.”

Ruth laughed softly. “You are forgiven, child. Good day Jane. It is good to see you again. How was your trip?”

Jane lowered her eyes shyly. “It was lovely, Lady Weston. Thank you for asking.”

“My pleasure child,” Ruth smiled, “give my best to your mother.”

Jane nodded.

“I will leave you three girls to it then. Hand me that basket Leah. Thank you for your help.” She smiled and left the girls in the salon.

Emily smiled at the older girl. “Leah, this is my best friend, Jane Conway. Jane, this is Leah.”

Jane stared at Milena wide-eyed. “She is a gypsy,” she whispered at Emily.

“I know that,” Emily sighed.