Chapter 36 Strays and other travelers

George Filcher blew his cold hands and rubbed them together to try and regain feeling in his fingers. He was grateful for the fire burning in the inn where he would spend the night. He had walked all day trying to sell his pelts and had made great business. Now he was tired and hungry.

The serving boy nodded at him and placed a mug of beer and a plate of food on the table. George's stomach grumbled at the smell of the food.

It was a rowdy establishment, but travelers he had met on the road had assured him it was a trustworthy place. He couldn't afford a single room, so he paid for a bed on the loft. Where less wealthy travelers quartered. But for a few extra pennies, the innkeeper had promised to guard his merchandise so it wouldn't get stolen.

It had been a week since he'd left his home. He wondered how his wife was doing. Had Lord Blackwood provided for the village?

Part of him was glad to be away from the village for a while. He had lived there all his life and his father and his father's father before him. It was his home, but there were a lot of memories there too, not in the least what had happened to that poor gypsy child.

Sometimes George wondered if he shouldn't just take his wife and start over somewhere else, but it was hard for outsiders to settle somewhere new and at least he had permission for his trade now. In most other districts he'd risk losing a hand. How would he provide for his wife then?

George finished his meal and motioned for another beer. Tomorrow would be another long walk. He'd have to cross a forest to reach the next town. It wasn't something he looked forward to. Perhaps he could meat other travelers along the way and have the safety of a group.

George took a swig of his beer and relaxed in his seat. The talk around him was muted, but part of a conversation still reached his ear.

"... not to be trusted."

"They seemed to be in a hurry when they left."

"Wouldn't you be if you tricked someone out of his money like that? They won't be dancing in that city no more. A pity though. The girl had nice hips."

"I'd be careful if I were you, watching those hips. Gypsy girls may bat their eyes at you, but their men will knife you for even looking at 'em."

"Aye, an' they'll put a curse on you. You'll find yar ship at the bottom of the ocean before ya know it."

George sighed and put his empty mug down. Gypsies. Even in this town. And the harbor city too by the sound of it. A shiver ran down his spine. He hoped he wouldn't run into any gypsies on his journey. What if it was the same group that had set fire to his village?

He placed a few coins on the table and went to his cot. There had been enough talk of gypsies lately. All he wanted now was some peace and quiet. Morning would come soon enough.

***

Amelia sighed deeply and stared into the fire. Ever since Jacob had returned home, the days had been rather dull. She missed him and his attention.

It was hard to believe she was engaged now. She could hardly wait to tell Arabella and Rebecca. Luckily it had stopped snowing. The road should be available for carriages soon.

Amelia's hand played with the ends of the shawl Jacob had given her. She had worn it every day since Jacob had given it to her, even inside the house. It had earned her many a jest from her siblings, but she did not care.

Currently she was alone in the salon. Her mother and sister had retreated early. Her grandmother had left to instruct the staff for the following day and Daniel was in his study.