Chapter 10

On Monday, I woke up at five in the morning. After attempting and failing to go back to sleep, I settled for going jogging instead. I had been working out all weekend, but the run seemed like a good idea.

It cleared my mind and the morning air cooled me off. I got to drink coffee with my parents, since they were having breakfast when I got home.

I got to school half an hour before the bell. No one I knew was around, so I made my way to the picnic tables. After plugging in my headphones, I opened up a book and began reading.

A back pack slamming on top of the table got my attention. Micah was taking a seat in front of me.

"Hey," I waved at him, turning off my iPod and putting it away.

"What's up?" He asked, taking my book and reading the cover. Before he lost the page, I slipped in a bookmark.

"I got here too early so I'm trying to keep busy. You have no idea how much trouble I get into when I'm bored," I said, keeping a serious face.

"You get in trouble?" Micah's eyes widened and he looked surprise.

"Oh yeah, I get into all kinds of trouble. Last year, I almost blew up my old school," I told him, trying really hard not to laugh.

"You're joking right?" He asked, furrowing his brow.

"Nope, I'm not. Did I ever tell you that a bunch of gullible guys believe all the stories I tell them?" I asked, smiling evilly.

"Ha-ha-ha, very funny; for a moment there I thought your angelic look was just for show."

"Did you just say I look angelic?" I burst out laughing at him.

I wasn't much of a trouble maker because I was too busy doing homework or training, but I was far from being angelic.

"You know what they say; it's always the innocent looking ones."

"The saying is, 'it's always the quiet ones'" I corrected him, stealing the banana he had taken out.

"Whatever, I was close," he said.

I had just taken a huge bite from the banana when he stole it back. He didn't even get to bite it before I grabbed it from his hands and bit off a chunk. We started fighting for the leftover bite when Zev appeared.

"Are you guys fighting for a banana?" Zev asked, looking at us strangely. Micah and I nodded our heads while Zev looked between the two of us.

"Continue," he said. Micah caught me off guard and shoved the leftover bite in his mouth, smirking at me proudly.

"I'll get you back for that," I told Micah, pointing at him.

"Hey, it was my banana," he defended himself.

"And you couldn't share it with me?" I asked in a sad voice.

He started looking guilty and I smirked at how easy it was to trick him. Zev laughed at us, calling us 'kids', even though Micah and him were the same age.

Jonah, Nate, and a guy named Leo arrived at the table shortly after. We were all making conversation, but I noticed that every time Leo opened his mouth to speak, the guys would contradict him or make fun of him.

After about ten minutes, I felt slightly bad because Leo looked flustered. It was hilarious that he kept giving his opinion, even when the guys made fun of him.

Jared, Tyler, and Nick arrived at school a few minutes later. Jared waved at me on his way to the front of the school. Nick tried getting my attention, but I avoided looking in his direction. I did smile and wave at Tyler, who was looking shy, as usual.