twenty three

IF THERE WAS ONE THING I KNEW ABOUT ANYA, when she says she's ready it's nearly always a lie

"No no no no, Sylvia listen-" she said through my phone, voice cracking slightly from the poor connection, "I am on my way! I am- I'm walking down the corridor from my dorm now!"

"Sure." I hummed into my phone, amused as her breath became more ragged and something loudly crashed in the background.

"Fuc- I uh, did you hear that Sylv? I think that was the elevator, it's broken. Yep, definitely broken. I may be a while now . Give it take a half hour so they can get me out I reckon"

I raised my brows at her blatant lie, "oh really."

"Mm." She said mumbled, " so crazy that it happened. So, so crazy."

I scoffed, "Anya admit it you've just woken up."

There was a pause before she giggled nervously, "whattt? No! Why would you think that? I wouldn't, I- I haven't ."

"Oh please." I said, "I know you Anya, you've literally just woken up and are rushing around packing your suitcase last minute right now."

Anya sighed dramatically, "Well fuck you for knowing me too well."

"You can't lie for shit." I said back, smiling at my phone as she huffed because she was caught out.

"I promise I'll be there soon Sylv, I just have to choose what clothes to pack now, you know that always takes me the longest." She mumbled through the sound of clothes hangers scraping across a metal beam.

"I know I know, but you've got half an hour, I'll have to go by then with or without you." I said back, "I can't make the pilot wait forever."

"Okay I gotcha." She replied, " I'll see you soon."

I chuckled slightly, "bye, love you!"

"Bye." She said, as I hung up.

Sighing slightly, I unbuckled my seatbelt and leaned forward in the SUV, sliding the divider from the driver.

"So Peter." I started off, "seems like Anya will be late so it's just you and me for now."

I smiled at the balding cabbie in front of me, his warm brown eyes flicking over to his front mirror.

"Will we be waiting for her Miss Bussit, for shall she make her there?" Peters voice was thick with his New York drawl as he replied.

"Just us P." I smiled at him.

Peter had been my driver since I was a little girl, originally he was hired by my mother as her personal chauffeur but when she passed I asked him to stay on for me. He happily accepted my offer and had been my chauffeur ever since.

However since I'd been at school so often lately, my need for him had dwindled making it a good month or two since I'd last seen him.

He nodded, sinking further in his seat, obviously making himself more comfortable until Anya arrived.