Chapter 4

It was a weekend when Nash found himself walking inside a mall. His feet brought him to the bookstore.

He was walking from aisle to aisle of books when he caught a familiar figure on the biography section.

Tinapik niya ang sarili niyang pisngi, he must be dreaming, right?

Tumabi siya sa babae at tinignan ito ng malapitan. Seryosong-seryoso ito sa pagbabasa sa likod ng libro as if what she’s reading really caught her interest. Nakatingin lang si Nash habang nakasalubong ang kilay nito.

He faked a cough pero seryoso pa din nakatingin si Sharlene sa libro.

Nash sa bookstore, hindi pinansin ni Sharlene. At that moment, he felt like he wasn’t in Sharlene’s reality. 

“Sharlene.” Nash said softly as he leaned on her. She turned her head and their faces were close but only for a second because Sharlene found herself stepping back.

“What? Are you stalking me?” She asked holding the book closer to her chest.

Nash gave a small laugh. “Why on earth would I do that? Why are you here?” he asked, absolutely curious about what her business in a bookstore might be.

“Ah.” She suddenly felt panic as she laid the book back on its place. “Just checking out for a gift.” She looked at him and suddenly uttered “Bye.” And started walking out of the store.

Nash stood there trying to process on what happened. His gaze glued to the door where she exited. When reality pulled him back, he glanced at the book she was intently checking out.

It was an autobiography. He flipped it on the back to see on what she was so interested about.

Maya Angelou.

He started wondering on whom he was going to get the book for.

Her father? Her mother? Probably someone older because there is no way on earth that a girl like her would read something like this.

Then he started wondering on Earth was she really up to.

                                                                        XxXxXxXx

Sharlene kept walking. She didn’t really know where to go but one thing she did know is that she had to get out of there. She kept walking while she fans herself using her hands. The mall’s airconditioning system is fine but the cold sweat on the side of her face says otherwise. She stopped and pulled herself on the side of the way. She’s breathing heavily and her heart is pounding as if it’s going out of her chest. She closed her eyes and inhaled and exhaled deeply. She opened her eyes and turned to see what boutique is she in front of. Dorothy Perkins. Perfect. She composed herself and walked inside the store. The staff greeted her right away. She may be young but her whole ensemble screams ‘Daddy-can-afford-to-buy-these-things-for-me’. She wondered if that’s the only thing you can have to gain respect as such a young age.

She dragged herself to the New Arrivals section of the store to see if something would pique her interest. She let out one breath and started looking but her mind was really somewhere else.

Yes, she should be in places like these.

How can she be reckless and let herself be found in a bookstore, holding a biography no less? Was she out of her mind? The worse part about is that of all people who would see her in that state, it was that boy that has seen her. What was his name again? Ugh, being caught in that moment had momentarily made her an amnesiac.

It was a ping on her phone that brought her back to reality. She left the rack of clothes and fished her phone inside her Chanel bag. She swiped her code and read the message in Viber. She smiled. In a time like this, she really needed that message.

She went to the dresses again and just picked anything. She asked the lady if she has a size, the lady nodded. She sat on one of the couches inside the store to wait.

“Aren’t you going to try this on?” the saleslady asked as she handed Sharlene the dress.

“No. I already know it would look good on me.” Sharlene took the dress and head for the counter. She took her wallet and paid in cash.

The girl on the counter just looked at her trying to hide her smirk. It must be fun to be so young and spend money on such luxury. She smiled on the inside.

                                                                        XxXxxXx

Nash found himself alone at the dining hall of the Crisostomos’. It was after tutorials when Nash decided to head to Celine’s for their project. He was alone because Celine needed to change into more comfortable clothing. He was badly trying to get past the third number in his Calculus homework and he was really getting impatient.

It was the sound of a closing door that cut his frustration. He saw Sharlene in white shirt and denim shorts. Nakatali ulit ang buhok nito. He groaned inside. Why must he be alone at a time like this?

Sharlene glanced up and met his eyes. She smirked as she put the phone in her pocket.

“Alone? Where’s your posse?” she asked as she walked towards him.

“Posse? You make us sound so cool.” Nash faked a smile and it didn’t escape Sharlene’s notice. She let out a small laugh.

“Well, that’s what I do.” She said as she leaned on the table, left side of Nash. She threw a glance at what he was doing on his paper.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

“Studying.” He answered shortly as he tried to get his focus back to his assignment.

“Ewww.” Sharlene said with conviction.

“Well some of us have dreams.” Nash returned to her.

“Hmmmm.” She hummed as she took my pencil and the paper I’m writing on. She started doodling on my paper.

Now what kind of stupidity is she writing on my paper? He thought.

“Landslide.” She uttered.

“Ha?” tanong ni Nash pabalik. This girl must have been going crazy.

“The song on the cover of your notebook.” Sharlene looked at him. “It’s Landslide.”

Confusion spread into his face. He didn’t how to react.

Both of their heads snapped to the stairs when they heard footsteps descending. Sharlene gave him the paper and pencil and pulled herself away from the table.

“It’s my favorite song.” She said and she started walking away.

Nash didn’t notice that his eyes followed her. It was only until Celine appeared that his senses was brought back to the present.

“Okay ka lang?” tanong ni Celine sa kanya.

“Oo.” Sagot ni Nash. Celine looked at the paper and said, “Nasagutan mo na pala.” She smiled as she pulled the chair next to him.

“Ha?” pagtatakang tanong ni Nash. He looked at his paper only to see that Sharlene has answered the third number in his homework, the one he can’t answer.

He just looked at Celine and pulled a small smile.

Something’s happening.

And it’s something he can’t understand.

______________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hi, sorry for the super late update. I was studying for some major exam and the outcome wasn't good. I was miserable but at the back of my head, all I could think of is how badly I want to write. So sorry for the long wait. I think it's half a year. Wow, time does really fly. So expect me to update more often now though I still have to think of the whole plot of this story again. And I'm trying to find the paper in which I wrote the plot on. Wish me luck. Comments are greatly appreciated. I love you all. ♥ [heartpaper]