Chapter 2: Message

I woke up that night, panting a little since I had a horrible dream. The clock hit 5 AM. I moved into Cats room shortly after her death because it's the only thing she left. I couldn't throw away her stuff and even her clothes were still in the closet. People have different opinions about it, but I feel comforted whenever I am sad.
I slipped out of bed, taking a shower, and walked over to the office. I started to act like Cat, she would wake up early and went back to work because she has nightmares. I hated to think about her so much, but even after 3 years, she kept popping up in my head.

I looked through the files that cake in the other day, still very confused about where they came from or who sent them to me. I mean, I have no connections in Italy, and I previous day I asked Lennox about it but he didn't have an answer either. It's just very strange, scary even. Even in the next following six weeks, I got more boxes with case files and now my office is full of mystery boxes. They all came from Italy.
I hadn't retrieved a box this week. I don't know why kind of strange maybe the person is done sending me stuff. Like, I have no idea what to do with them. I mentioned before I am not a detective, I am not on earth to solve murders. In the beginning, I thought someone sent it accidentally to me even it was very unlikely.

The door of the office opened and Lennox walked in. "Didn't you get the message?" He asked. "About what?" I asked confused. He facepalmed. "Mirage where are you with your mind, you had a meeting and you would meet your new partner," he said. "What?! No!" I jumped on the chair. "I am not going to have a new partner! I told you before it's Cat or no one! I can't have another partner. I mean, Ford was a horrible mistake and I am not ready to have a new partner! Besides I can do it perfectly on my own!" I said. "I know, but you're saying that for three years! You knew this moment would come," he stated.

I sucked in a breath and looked at the door. A woman around 25 walked in. So, she's older than my holoform. I am an 18-year looking teen, Cat was younger then I was, so that was easy and less strange. Now it looks like she's my superior instead of me being hers.
"This is Vicky Lopez... and she will be your new partner," Lennox said. I sucked in a breath but shook her hand. Seriously, why me?! Why do I need to deal with this problem? I felt a strange feeling rising as if I was reliving Cat's death again. I felt grieve, pain, and sadness. As if I had to cry.

At this point, I just wished I could hug Cat and tell her how much I love her. I wasn't sure if Lennox noticed it or not, but if he did, he ignored it. "Nice to meet you," She said. I gave a small nod and stepped back. "How long have you been a spy?"
"7 years, I followed a special training program," she stated. She's a bit arrogant if you asked me. The way she talked irritated me a lot. "Great," it was a bit sarcastic and I walked off. Lennox came after me and stopped me. "She's not Cat! I know that and she never will be... she's just your new... worker," he stated. "Sent her home! I don't want her!" I snapped, pushing him aside. "I work with Cat! She's my only partner! If I can not have her, I will work with no one! She will not do any justice for my dead partner! She's not any better," I sneered angrily.

I walked back into Cat's old room, slamming the door closed, and paced around before sitting on the bed, closing my eyes for a moment. 'Just get over it' I thought to myself. What I have with Cat is over, she's gone. She died in my arms.
I grabbed the letters Cat wrote to me, reading them again. I read it a lot, just to feel better. She left this for me in my dashboard and I hadn't even noticed it. She had planned her death, she wanted to die. To be free from the pain and demons that chased her. Very sad but true.

I calmed down and walked back towards the office. Apparently, she's not going to leave, so I could better just try to ignore her existence and try to do my job. I just hated she was sitting behind Cat's desk. I know it sounds weird but sometimes I talked to her as if she was still here because it gave me peace and now I couldn't do that.

"What are you working on?" Vicky questioned. "Just some old cases, nothing important! Just be quiet and do the work I gave you!" I grunted. "Aren't we supposed to work on cases together?" She asked. I started to lose my patience. "Yes! But not now!" I sulked, getting up and collected my files before I left. I flopped down on Cat's double bed in her room. So peaceful to work here, I know now why she loved it so much.
The files are extended, it's written in the detail. Apparently, this person tried to help me. I just didn't understand why they would send it to me and not to the police and who sent it to me. It's also kind of exciting, I actually felt important. I haven't had that feeling for a very long time and since the last time, the Decepticons were defeated I was drowned in boring stuff. Just helping some human conflicts.

From what I have read, all these files are linked. From missing people to people who are killed. The reason is unknown but they're all people with important jobs. That's the only link these people have. They are chosen very specifically for some reason.
Some of them worked for the FBI and the others simply work for a bank or are the CEO of a company. I looked up these company's but they're all different. So there's no link between that. In one of the files they're is something written about an organization that would link all these people, but it's never been proved. Then I wondered why this would be so important?