1

My hands flew over the white and black piano keys effortlessly. I let my eyes flutter closed as I gently played the last few notes of a song I had made recently. I opened my eyes again and admired the shiny polished piano sitting in front of me. I glided the tips of my fingers over the top of the dark wood and sighed contently. In that one short moment of playing, I forgot everything, past and present. I could've sat there for hours playing that one song over and over again.

I was happy. My parents, however, were far from it.

I clenched my jaw as I remembered the heart-shattering words they had said to me. That was the day they'd decided to kick me out. They'd left me to fend for myself, leaving me a twenty-dollar bill and an old backpack filled some of my belongings. Some parents they are.

Fortunately for me, my generous Uncle Rick took me in. My parents were nothing to him. My uncle was just about the best uncle I could ask for. Sure, he was an alcoholic, sure, he smoked, but he was the only one who cared for my well-being. Despite my parents' protests, he was always the person to drive me to my piano lessons. He knew and understood my passion for music, and that's what I loved about him.

---

"Come on kid, get in the car," He said with a wide, sparkling grin.

I responded with a smile of my own and hopped in. Soon after I closed the rusty car door, he started the car up and accelerated toward our destination. I could tell that he was drinking before I came in, his red-tinged face indicated that he was tipsy and the opened beer bottle in the cup holder next to me pointed out the obvious. Despite what you'd expect, I wasn't worried in the slightest. This has happened in the past, but even while under the influence, my uncle could drive like a sober person any day.

"How are the piano lessons going so far?" He asked as he turned on the radio, soft country music filled my ears. I cringed slightly, this genre wasn't my favorite, but I was still appreciative.

"Very well actually, my piano teacher says that I've improved quite a bit over the past few weeks," My face swelled with self-confidence, I was always excited to tell my uncle about my musical achievements. Whenever I brought up news about my piano accomplishments, he would treat my happiness as if it were his own.

"That's great, Matt!" He reached his arm out to give me a high-five and beamed with pride. He leaned over to take a swig of his beer in celebration.

"I'm proud of you, son," he said, his words and his million-dollar smile fading suddenly.

"What's wrong?" I searched his expression worriedly. My uncle was an energetic ball of light, he acted as if he were still 16. It wasn't like him to get quiet like that.

A small moment of silence passed before he finally answered, "Have you had any contact with your parents?" He watched as my once warm expression faded.

"Why would I?" I questioned coldly. I turned my head away to look out the window, my transparent reflection stared back solemnly.

"Because-"

"I don't want to talk about it," I responded without letting him finish.

"Damn it!" He lashed out suddenly, "We have to talk about it!"

I flinched visibly at his sudden outburst.

His face softened, "Mathew, I-" He apologized when he noticed my reaction, but what he failed to take note of, was the big, red stop sign in front of us.

The car was hit suddenly from my side, making my head connect with the glass window next to me, I could feel the tiny glass shards dig into my scalp, making me cry out from the pain. My heart descended toward my stomach, everything seemed to go in slow motion. Loud, audible cracks echoed in my ears as we thrashed around in the air. Sharp, excruciating pain ensued.

"Mathew," He choked out.

Warm, red liquid dripped down into my eyes, making them shut from the unpleasant sting. Everything in my body went limp as my consciousness faded.

"I'm sorry."

A/N: Let me know if you guys like this story so far and if I should continue!