2

Bright, white light evaded my vision as my eyes opened reluctantly.  I was in a small room on a stiff hospital bed, multiple needles were stuck in my arms. 

"Ack- Where am I?"  My voice sounded hoarse and cracked multiple times in the short sentence that I uttered.  A feeling of overwhelming dehydration came over me when no one answered.  A nurse nearby grabbed a glass filled to the brim with clear water that was on the surface beside me.  She ignored my protests of holding the glass myself and brought it to my lips.  I forgot everything I previously said as I greedily gulped down the cold, fresh tasting liquid. 

"Thank you," I let a ghost of a grin take over my face when she took away the cup and placed it down again.

"Hello, Mathew," A doctor that was standing above me opposite of where the nurse was, smiled at me, it seemed forced and never reached his eyes.

I didn't respond, giving him time to explain what happened.  

He seemed grateful when I didn't say anything and took a deep breath before continuing, "You were in a car crash exactly 4 months ago, your injuries were.." He looked down at my hands and sighed quietly, "Fatal."

My heart dropped, "Where's my Uncle?"

"Oh, your Uncle? He's still in a coma, he sustained small injuries and we expect him to wake up very soon," He said the words very gently as if I were a ticking time bomb waiting to explode at any second.  A long, uneasy silence passed.

"We'll give you some space," The doctor and nurse exited the room and shut the door silently.

Then I started sobbing.

I cried until I felt like I couldn't cry anymore.  I cried to the point where each body-shaking sob squeezed my lungs painfully, until my eyes swelled so much that they started throbbing.  The hot, uncontrollable tears streamed down my face like a river breaking through a dam.  I reached up to wipe my tears when suddenly I realized something.

I can't feel my right arm.

"I-I can't feel my arm!!!" A scream that almost sounded non-human left my mouth, dread overcame me as I desperately tried to move my elbow, my shoulder, even trying to move my hand proved to be an impossible task. My left arm could only just barely wiggle.  It shook heavily, but other than that, my body disregarded my frantic attempts and stayed deathly still. 

The man and woman from a few moments ago re-entered the room, the nurse avoided my gaze.  It seemed as if they were waiting for me to find out, but for their own sake, avoided telling me.

"Your right radial nerve was completely destroyed in the crash," The doctor said with an unreadable look on his face, "Your left radial nerve is safe, but it took some major damage."

"Wh-what does that mean?" I managed to stutter out, even though I already knew the answer.  

My suspicions were confirmed as the doctor declared his heart-shattering response, "You will never be able to move or feel anything in your right arm ever again."