Chapter 2

Carrie, fellow coworker,shallow snob. She had always acted like I was inferior. Every time I did something, she had to do it better. & she'd been eying Paul since we started dating.

She looked over at me & began to eye another layer of eyeliner. As if the amount of makeup we wore was just another competition that she would win.

I rushingly fixed my makeup and escaped before things could have escalated. I couldn't help but to gape at the sparkling sign above the tent with the words "BRAZEN CIRCUS". I had seen it many times but was still in awe.

As I strolled backstage, I passed Sonjay talking on his phone "Vat da hell!" He yelled in his thick middle eastern accent. "We had that venue booked for months & now you vant to cancel!" He ended the call with a few choice words & shoved his phone in his pocket.

. "I could have become a lawyer! Or a doctor! But no! I own a flippen circus!"

He muttered.

"What's up Sonjay?" I walked beside him.

"The Chicago venue ve were going to use cancelled & ve are out of corn dogs & my wife is going to have her baby soon &...." He rambled on.

"It'll get better" I assured him and walked to put on my leotard. Unlike the stage hands' black outfits, my leotard was silver with rhinestones trailing up my collarbone. They sparkled bright, even in the dim lighting. As I saw the trapeze, I closed my eyes. Mentally preparing myself for what was to come.