Unexpected Helper

Summary: Set in S3E16 "1912" or S3E15 "All My Children." Will someone stop her from succeeding? What if Kat came back? Why is she back? What if Damon had to save Kat's life? Will he do it?

It was a dark night, as Esther Mikaelson used a knife to cut Elena's hand. Alaric Saltzman was knocked out on the floor in the little shed-like place. Esther was going to use Alaric as a weapon.
"No," Elena protested.
"I'm going to do this whether you're willing or not," Esther said.
Elena tried to get free from Esther's hold on her wrist.
Suddenly, Esther was thrown and she hit a faraway wall, while Elena hit the floor.
"You dare interrupt me?" Esther growled, once she was on her feet.
"If Elena and Alaric are involved, yes," Katherine Pierce replied. "And don't use your magic on me, because I know witches. Leave before you piss me off and I kill you."
"You wouldn't dare," Esther growled.
"Oh, I would. Ask Damon or Elijah. I'll do anything to get what I want. I'm going to warn you only this once. Stay away from Elena and anyone else she associates with. And I don't want to see you again," she growled back.
Elena watched from the floor, her back against a wall.
"I'm an Original. I can do anything and you can't kill me," Esther replied.
"No?"
Katherine pinned her against a wall with a hand around her throat in a blur, her free hand with a white oak stake that she had raised over Esther's chest.
"You want a bet?"
Esther growled. Then the Original through her off and the bowl of ingredients spilled on the floor, as Katherine hit them. The bowl shattered into pieces.
The Petrova vampiress got to her feet, stake lost in the mess on the floor.
"You used to be so delightful when we met back in the sixteenth century, Katerina. Whom were you in love with? Elijah or Trevor? Oh, yes. That's right. They were both in love with you, but you loved Elijah. And you used Trevor to escape Niklaus. Right? I wonder how Elijah feels for you now. You didn't choose him."
"Put the past behind you. I regret enough of my past that I don't need reminded."
Esther through her and she hit a faraway wall with a thud.
"You have bad luck, Katerina. You tend to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time."
Katherine layed on her side in pain and looked up at her.
"I don't care what I am as long as my family doesn't die again. I'll gladly die any day for Elena and the others," she confessed.
"Well, that's interesting enough."
Esther lifted her to her feet with a hand around her throat and pinned her to the wall.
"Believe me. I never thought I would feel love again after what Klaus did. But now, I can love again. Elena, Damon, Caroline, and Stefan are my family. I'll do anything for them," she answered, as pain sliced through her side and right arm.

"Why so open with me?"
"Because you can relate; you love and you care for your family. But one thing is this. I will never be the monster you are."
With her free hand, Esther slapped her across the face with anger clearly in her expression.
"I am not a monster. I am a mother."
"Yes; a mother that wants every vampire, including your own children, to cease to exist. If I had been able to raise Isabelle, I would never had become what you are. A mother that cares little, has no remorse, and is a selfish bitch."
Esther growled.
"How dare you speak to me like that!"
Esther through her and she hit the wall closest to Elena pretty hard.
"Enough, mother. If you have something to say, say it," the voice said.
Esther turned to face her son.
"Niklaus."
She looked at the rest of her children calmly.
"Shall we discuss this somewhere else?" Elijah said.
"Yes. We should. Mother?" Klaus said.
Elena and Katherine watched them go.
"Are you okay?" Kat asked, as she layed on her back in silent pain.
"I think I'll be okay," Elena answered her.
"I'm glad. What the hell did I miss?" Ric said, as he got up.
"Esther was going to make you a weapon, but Katherine stopped her. Klaus made Esther leave," Elena summarized for him.
Alaric started to his feet, as the doppelganger went and knelt by the vampiress.
"You're hurt," Elena said to her.
"Yes. I'll be okay when I heal. Don't worry about me. Decides, Damon is pissed off at Esther. When I went to the rescue, I saw that he was heading over to save you."
"Thank you."
"Anytime, Elena."