Essentially Too Late

Summary: What if Katherine had come back in town in enough time to save Elena and maybe Matt? Will she get there in time? Will she save them both? After making the car go off the bridge, will Rebekah have the heart to save Matt, or will she leave him to die with Elena?

It was a dark night. Bonnie and Damon were at a storage unit in a storage shed where Klaus was. They stood there watching him, looking down at his burnt body. Then Klaus opened his eyes.

"There's the crispy fried Original," Damon said.

"Could you give me a minute?" Bonnie asked him, looking at the easy-going vampire.

"Of course," he answered her.

He closed the door to the shed and walked off.

Vampire Alaric walked into the storage unit, looking for Klaus but saw Damon. He snuck up behind him and put an arm around his throat in a tight hold.

"Where's Klaus?"

"How'd you find where he is?"

"Answer the question."

"Unit three number 10210," he lied.

After getting what he needed, he tightened some more, which made him black out. He let go and let him fall to the ground on his back. Then he walked towards unit three and started searching, opening up storage sheds as he went, just in case Damon had lied.

Meanwhile, Bonnie had Klaus who was still in his coffin, in the back of a car and was seated in the passenger's seat, waiting for Damon and Rebekah so she could leave. She then called up Rebekah when she didn't get a hold of Damon.

"I'm just outside. What do you want?"

"I'm waiting for you two so we can leave."

"Go ahead. We'll meet you there," she said, before hanging up.

She put her cell phone away before entering the building.

'Damon?" she called.

There was silence.

"This isn't funny, Damon."

A moment after she added that, she saw him passed out on the cement floor. She ran to and knelt beside him. She was wary while making sure he was okay or going to be okay. Someone else besides them was here.

"Damon? Come on, Damon. Wake up."

She softly slapped him on the cheek.

He groaned and then came to, looking at her.

"You're here."

"I've been here for the last five minutes," she answered, as he slowly sat up.

"We got to go. Ric's here. And he's intent on killing Originals first. You're in danger if he gets anywhere near you. Come on."

A moment later, they were running.

Bonnie was about to drive off, when Alaric arrived.

"Hello, Bonnie."

"Alaric."

"Why don't you be kind and hand me Klaus."

"So you can kill him? No."