Chapter 15

It was late morning when Akiko came to and surprisingly the lord was still sleeping in her lap. Hand touching the forehead she sighed in content as the door opened. "Good morning," Aisu greeted. "How is he?"

        "His fever's gone for the most part," Akiko said. "I'll need to monitor it though just to be sure. He'll live."

        "That is good to hear." A maid then entered the room with a tray of food for the human to eat. The servant didn't stick around though, quickly leaving.

        "Has there been any news...?"

        The young woman didn't have to continue, the wolf already understanding what she was hinting at. "No, but that causes me to worry."

        "Why?" The less of Naraku's movements, the better.

        "Because that means no one knows what he's planning. He's been too quiet, but in the last few hours since you being here things have been growing restless outside. Demons are aware of your presence and I would not doubt he will soon be aware as well."

        The young woman's fingertips lightly touched the dog demon's temples once more focusing a small concentration of ice to sooth the fever further. "Aisu, why is it that demons are more aware of my presence than others? Not all of them have this effect on each other, right?"

        "You are a very strong entity and hold a great amount of untapped power that will continue to show itself the more you train. They sense that in you, which is why they are so aware. It's unavoidable. Much like the lords and ladies from other lands as you've probably noticed from the gathering. The power of authority, strength, and presence. All higher-class demons have this power over the lesser ones. It can't be helped, which is why demons such as Lord Sesshomaru are feared and they stay away from. You can be classified in the same category as them."

        "I didn't know..."

        Aisu smiled. "I know. But that is why you cannot hide your return."

        "Will you send me away again?"

        "No," she answered truthfully. "We can no longer delay. The northern household must be uncovered in order for you to truly ascend to power before Naraku claims it as his own."

        "Why hasn't it been before? Don't you know where it is?"

        "Unfortunately an enchantment has been placed over the household that only my successor can break. And its location has also been wiped from my memories for that reason. No one in the pack remembers either for that matter. Those that fought against me did not wish for it to be found again and they took every measure to be sure of that. We've been searching for it since news of your reincarnation surfaced and have a few areas in the land we believe it to be. But we need you to help perform a thorough search."

        "When do we leave?"

        "As soon as we know what Naraku is planning so not to be taken off guard or fall into a trap. We cannot leave ourselves open to threats while on the road."

        Sesshomaru slept the entire day as Akiko made her way throughout the grounds, even changing into more traditional clothing before finding Rin and assuring her that everything would be all right. Taking care of the girl well into the evening she put her in bed before making her way back to the lord's room with Tobi at her side. Aisu's third in command, Kou, sat outside the door, head picking up at her approach. Jaken was beside him, slumped against the wall with eyes closed finally resting, though he remained faithful as ever to not leave the door unguarded. "How long has he been asleep for?" Akiko whispered quietly.