Investigating

"Ring. Ring"

I wake up on the couch to the sound of my dads phone ringing. My dad, who was sleeping at the computer desk on the stack of posters we printed, immediately jumps up and answers the phone.

Anxiously, I sit up on the coach and try to listen to the conversation. All I hear is my dad saying "uh huh" with the occasional "okay" while nodding his head.

After about 5 minutes, he hangs up the phone.

"Who was it? What did they say?" I ask.

"It was the policeman that was hear last night. He said that they haven't found anything or heard anything yet," he tells me in a sad voice.

I feel an empty pit in my stomach.

"It's my fault", I say as the tears start bursting out of my eyes like a waterfall.

"No, sweetie, it's not your fault. It's not anyone's fault," my dad says as he sits next to me and hugs me.

"Yes it is, it is my fault!" I exclaim hysterically through tears.

Then I tell him about the fight that Destani and I had yesterday over my shirt. I tell him what I said to Destani and that that's why she ran out the door, so it is my fault.

He tries telling me that I'm wrong and it's still not my fault. I don't believe one bit of it, but I let him talk anyways.

After we finish talking, we go and put up the posters that we printed last night up around town. It only takes us about 30 minutes.

Then we go home and wait just staring at the tv but neither of us are actulally watching it. We stay that way for about an hour, in our thoughts, untill my phone rings. It's a private number. I go upstairs to my room and answer it.

"Hello?", I say.

"Do you want your sister back?", a woman's voice asks me.