ONE.

CHAPTER ONE.
( boys )

\"★°

Welton academy was the most prestigious school in the United States, that fact was widely known. What was not widely known, however, was the fact that Henley Hall, Welton's sister school, was just as, if not more, prestigious that Welton.

There was really only one reason why this fact was unknown, although more so ignored, by the general public and that reason was simple: Welton taught young men to be doctors, lawyers, engineers, and bankers and Henley taught girls. However crooked and twisted that sentiment was, it was the truth.

So, while Mr. Nolan, the headmaster, droned on about how excellent his school truly was, Violet Everton, Madeline Perry, and Cheryl Edwards ignored his useless words and thought of how the world was truly cruel, to them in particular.

Perhaps it was the fact that none of the three girls were looking forward to their time at Welton, or that the boys surrounding them seemed to have no manners at all, choosing to stare and wink at the girls, rather than listen to their headmaster praise their school. Whatever reason it was, it was clear that the girls felt anything but welcome at this hell hole of a school.

"One hundred years ago," Nolan began, his nasally voice ringing out among the pews, "In 1859, 41 boys sat in this room and were asked the same question that greets you at the start of each semester. Gentleman, what are the four pillars?"

Every boy in the old chapel stood loudly, the sound echoing off of the high ceilings, and with a push from all three sets of parents, the girls were standing too, though with more caution, seeing as they didn't doubt the Welton boys would try to stare up their skirts.

"Tradition, Honor, Discipline, Excellence." The said in perfect unison, causing the girls to burst into a fit a giggles, for they reminded them of a set of wind up dolls. They quickly took their seats once more, and Mr. Nolan continued on, not before sending a nasty glare their way.

"In her first year, Welton academy graduated 5 students. Last year, we graduated 51. And more than 75 precent of those went onto the Ivy League. This, this kind of accomplishment is the result of fervent dedication to the principles taught here. This is why you parents have been sending your sons. This is why we are the best prepatory school in the united states." Applause sounded throughout the room, the only people not clapping their hands with fervent energy, the three girls sat in the fourth row.

"Prententious bastards." Madeline muttered softly, much to the delight of Cheryl, who laughed boistrously, before getting a swift smack to the back of her head, delivered by her mother. A deep sigh left Violet's mouth, her father gripping her hand tightly to remind her of how unladylike it was.

Thankfully, no one noticed the outburst and the girls were spared the humiliation that would come with it.

"As you know," Nolan continued, much to the dismay of the girls, who just wanted this unenjoyable show to be over, "Our beloved Mr. Portius of the English department retired last term. You will have the oppurtunity later to meet his replacement, Mr. John Keating, himself a graduate of this school. And who, for the past several years, has been teaching at the highly regarded Chester School in London."

The crowd applauded once more, and this time the girls joined in, peeking over many curious heads to take a look at the new English teacher.