XXV) What Could Have Been

Ladybug shot forward, her yo-yo zipping towards Adrien's falling body. They fell fast, the ground growing closer by the second. 'Please go faster!' she pled with her tool, the head approaching Adrien only the slightest second before her. They had approximately ten seconds before hitting the ground, maybe less since the air peeled away her ability to stay awake.

Nine.

Eight.

Seven.

She yelled as she urged Tikki for speed, something she'd never done but somehow worked.

Six.

Five.

Four.

Her yo-yo was so close. It inched its way closer to him, almost completely around him. With no time left, the weapon seemed to take on a mind of its own, finally wrapping around the man and hefting his skyward. 

Ladybug sobbed as he rocketed into her arms, her yo-yo releasing and continuing to soar upward, attaching them to the lowest rung of the tower and slowly bringing them safely to the ground.

The news crews scattered as the ambulance sped forward. Adrien was pulled from Ladybug's arms and rushed to the hospital, the same one he'd fled those weeks before.

Ladybug hugged herself and sobbed, falling to the ground in a pile before running after the vehicle.

The ride to the hospital on the roof of that ambulance felt like an eternity, but she couldn't remember any of it. Really, she couldn't remember anything until she was in the waiting room - two hours after the tower.

The room was overly bright, the neverending tears in Marinette's eyes blurring every surface in sight. The chair was uncomfortable, but she hardly cared. She was focusing all of her energy on hoping he would be alright, waiting for the wo-

"Mr. Agreste is stable if you would like to see him." a male nurse approached her with a nod, his hand extended to lead her to him.

Without a word, she took it and followed him silently down the long halls. 

Suddenly she was beside him, his head wrapped with thick bandages, the ones around his chest and side pushing his hospital gown outward just slightly. He was asleep - not dead. Her eyes welled again, this time more ferverous than prior. 

Marinette slipped onto the bed, her body fitting into the contours of his broken one.

She cried for hours, not even Tikki could comfort her. 

It was Adrien's scent that finally lulled her to sleep.

Her dreams were horrific, being only her memories of the day replayed over and over. Sometimes she'd save him, sometimes he'd die.

When she woke up the next morning, she found herself in his arms, his eyes searching her in confusion.

Without thinking, she hurriedly kissed him, her lips  initially missing his mouth before they connected.

His shock was understandable. The moment Marinette realized what she'd done she pulled away.

"I-I'm so sorry. I thought I'd lost you an-" Adrien returned the gesture, his broken lips finding their way to hers on first try.