Pay-Day

I locked my door and adjusted my ear buds and took the stairs down. I headed for the double glass door when the guy at the front desk, my landlord Trent, stopped me. "Hey Kalin. Guess what today is?" He looked smug. I gave him a simple smile, "Pay day." And waved out the door.

It was the end of the month and what Trent called pay day was actually rent due. I was able to pay the rent fully for the first few months, thanks to my dad but either he was greedy or inflation happend and the rent rose. And I always had to pay him back in some way.

The school day was normal. Easy, boring classes, bullies and everytime I went in the bathroom there was vapers that I ignored.

My second to last period was History.

The teacher was very laid back. The only work was copying power point notes and after, playing reggae music while we were supposed to do our work. Well at least I did my work. Everyone else had other things to do, like playing videogames or talking about their lovers.

History ended and now I had an hour and a half to do something with my pathetic life, guess I should go to work early. I walked out the back and started to walk fast hoping they wouldn't catch me. I was wrong.

     "Hey Kaaalin. Where'ya going? You don't have a period right now, right? Why don't you come hang out with us?" I rolled my eyes, "Oh for fuck sakes."

I broke off into a run, I was pretty fast but wasn't fast enough for the football players who were now hot on my heels. I turned a building and vaulted a fence, dodging other students, and sprinted to towards the park. I looked behind and around me. No sign of them. I panted and rested against a tree bending over my knees.

  Suddenly I heard a crunch of leaves behind me, then before I could run, both my arms and legs were snagged around the tree, I struggled against them then that familiar punch drove into my tummy. I coughed out some saliva.

  "Fucking Kalin you gave us quite the chase," She grabbed my shoulders and slammed my head against the tree. Yeah, screw you too. I was dazed, my head was spinning and I was seeing stars. I groaned, "Neh." "Oh? Did that hurt? Here let me give you another one." She grabbed my head, this time pushing my farther back, then some shouted.

"HEY! Look!" I was kinda too dazed to know what was happening but Tanya grabbed me by the neck and threw me to the grass. I was able to get a glimpse at him. He has his phone out and I guess he was recording us. Great. I tried to hide my face with my hood.

   "Hm just think what would happen if I showed this to the school? Your foot ball days would be over and there goes your scholarships." Tanya sent one of her goons foward, "Kick his ass, then we'll have two friends to play with."

     The guy put his phone away and walked foward. What? He's not fighting? This dude is crazy! Tanya's goon caught suprise, "Oh you're approaching me?" The guy smiled, "We'll I can't kick your ass all the way over there." He pointed behind him. The goon lunged at him with a punch aimed straight for his head. With her fist inches from his face, he merely side stepped and laughed, "Really? C'mon, show some skill."

   What the hell? Why would you piss her off even more?

     The goon yelled out and started punching even more, this time adding hooks and body jabs. But still he didn't even look like he was trying. All he had to do was slap her hands away and dodge them. She paused her flurry of missed strikes. The guy laughed, "Tired? I'm not even trying. Or would you like me to go?" She doubled up her fists.
"Okay then." He said sarcastically.

I took this time to get up but Tanya and her other goon held me down with their foot. Fuck, well worth a try. Well at least they weren't wearing a skirt.