Easy For You To Say

Aly's

As soon as she turned her gaze and realized who were in her door, everything, exactly (just like in the movies) went slow-mo.  Time suddenly went imperceptible.  She saw how her parents' faces turned from pinkish to ashen; how the muscles in their eyes contort to let the eyeballs seem to bulge; simultaneously relaxing the rest of their facial muscles making their jaw drop.   She also saw how her mom lost her grip on the bag she was holding and the "thud, thud" sound it made at it hit the floor seem to have echoed in her ears.  Shock was all over their bodies and before Aly could react, she turned to Den and she could see the same expression and color plastered on her face.  She suddenly became nauseated and lightheaded.  She can see darkness from the corners of her vision.  The darkness started to creep in slowly blocking the sunlight coming from her windows.  She felt pressure building in her ears giving her the sensation she was falling into a deep pit.  She tried to call Den's name, but she was unable to utter anything.  "Can time really be this slow?  Am I dying?" she thought.  And then in the most bizarre and unexpected way, thoughts of her and Den seemed to play like a dream in her head ---

FLASHBACKS

--- The Prom – She saw herself getting busy and excited.  She saw the many dresses piled in her bed as she painstakingly went in and out of every gown.  She has to make sure she got the perfect ensemble for the night.  The pressure is on!  She has to be beautiful tonight.  She has to be beautiful for the crowd.  She has to look perfect for Den.  Oh yes, she is excited for tonight because of DEN!  The idea bugged her, but at the same time, she cannot deny the fact that she is more than elated to feel young again.  Huh, young, Aly thought to herself.  Even words escape her at that moment.  She could have used unfledged or unversed, but instead, she chose young.  She saw herself chuckle.

--- She saw the secret glances they exchanged while they were in the prom.  She saw how her muscles tensed as she tried to act appropriately.  Den was obviously more at ease with the so-called courtship.  Admittedly, Aly was new with the pursuit and Den seemed to be the more experienced one.  She saw how Den played with her.  They never danced but, Den made sure they would always stay where there were more crowds – how she stayed a little behind Aly as they watch the kids dance and how she held her close by the elbow for protection every time people tried to squeeze in between them.  She saw her own shoulders and noticed that there were tinge of red on them.  Ah, Den's lipstick, she thought, that was how literally close they were.  She saw Den whisper things to her ear, she cannot remember the conversations anymore, but it made her smile as she saw herself smile and blush.  "Ang landi ko", she thought.

After the prom, there was this need for her to extend the night.  She doesn’t want it to end.  And since the prom is over, only one thing can satisfy her need.  Initiate some good conversation and get herself invited for some coffee or wine; and so she did.  She played her part of the courtship well that night.  She got invited for some drinks.  "Yes!", she thought victoriously.

Aly cannot forget that prom night for it was the ultimate showcase of her "moves" for Den.  As she saw herself, she cannot help feel giddy and excited all over again.  They finally had that dance that night.  The sensation it brought when she held Den in her arms and caressed her bare back fascinated her.  "How can a touch be so – magical?", she thought.  And at that instant, although she was afraid, she became certain she wanted Dennise.