August 24, 1989

The school looked much older and bigger than the one I go to now. It was actually quite pretty, for being an old school. I was super into architecture, y'know all the HGTV really gets me going.

(Yes I know it's a college but something like this)

We walked in the doors and there was a big entry hall. We started walking to the right and I knew it would take me forever to remember where anything was.

"So, do you have your schedule?" Bobby asked, he was much more reliable when it came to this sort of stuff than Dinger was.

"Oh, I don't. Since I just moved here they said I'll get it the first day of school." I started thinking about real school. About Corey and what was happening in my real life. Or maybe my fake one. I'm still so confused on what's going on and how long it'll last.

"Hey, pal." Dinger said, snapping in my face. "Now even though we have to do this tour with, or without you, it might be better if you pay attention."

"Oh yeah! Sorry, I was just thinking. I'm a little nervous to start out the new year"

"Hey, dont worry one bit!" Dinger put his arm over my shoulder. "You'll have super cool friends names me and Bobby to be here for you."

I laughed. "Uhuh."

We walked around the school and it wasn't as scary as I had first thought. It was divided into each of the subjects. One hallway for each and then the cafeteria and gym in the middle. All the art and shop classes and stuff were upstairs, and since I was gonna be a junior I could eat outside if I wanted to.
I was kind of getting excited to be going to this school, especially if I found more friends like Dinger and Bobby.

"Okay kids, we're gonna be leaving in about ten minutes, so it's time to go." A bigger guy said. I assumed he was the janitor, or one of them, since the school was so big.

We started walking home and Dinger and Bobby asked if I was doing anything. I said no, and they offered to show me around town but I told them I had to tell my mom first. So, we walked all the way back to my house. Which isn't really that far, but the school is the center of town. So it was kind of a drag.

"Okay, so I'm thinking we should get some food first!" Dinger suggested. Bobby and I nodded vigorously since it was already about one and none of us had eaten breakfast. "Okay how about pizza?"
"Yeah!" Bobby and I cheered in unison. We walked to this neat little pizza place in town and had the best pizza I had ever tasted outside of Chicago.

If all the food was this good, I'd be gaining a lot of weight here!

After eating we walked to an arcade.  And it was kind of super cool. I'm not exactly the best arcade games, but I can play some mean space invaders. I just liked the aesthetic of the whole place, and they also had free refills. Who wouldn't love it? After awhile we got bored and started walking around. It was getting kind of dark out, and we weren't sure what to do.

"Hey guys, if you want we could probably go to the drive in" Bobby said, clearly really wanting to go.

"Yeah, lets go to the drive in without a car! How cool is that?" Dinger said, somewhat joking, but having a semi good point.

"I like the idea Bobby, but where are we gonna sit? Y'know, with all the cars?" I smiled at him, hoping he'd understand where I was coming from.

"Good point guys. It's just that we were all having fun, I wanted to see how long it would last."

"Hey, you guys still have time to walk me home!" I said, trying to lighten the mood. "Plus, I take my drivers test in two weeks! We'll be crusin' then!"

"Yeah! Okay. Listen, I live kinda far, so is it okay if just Dinger walls you home?"

"Yeah Bobby, no problem! See you soon." I smiled. I was glad to have two new friends, especially ones that were good. Dinger and I started to walk home and we got to talking.

"So, why did you guys move here?" Dinger asked.
"Honestly? I don't remember. I think I had a weird dream or something because I dreamt I was in the year 2019." I kinda laughed. "It just seemed so... real. So, I dont know. I can't seem to remember much of what I have here, y'know?"

"Hey it's alright. You've got me. Me and Bobby will be here for ya." Dinger hobbled along, "And don't worry, you'll meet girls too. I know we can be kind of insufferable."

"No! I don't think that at all. You guys are actually really nice to me. I've never really had that. Or many friends before." I looked at the ground. "Sorry to get all gushy on ya."

"Nah it's okay, you can't be more of a wreck than I am. I haven't gotten an A since seventh grade, and let's face it, I don't really have any parents."

"Oh. I'm sorry" I looked at him with those sad eyes that people use when you tell them your issues.

"No, hey don't worry about it! I mean, I've got my looks and my personality to make up for it! I am goddamn irresistible!"

I laughed at him. He had such a childish way of doing things, but he never seemed to be immature. I thought he was pretty cool.

We got to my house and I turned around.
"Are you sure you don't need a ride?" I asked, not wanting him to walk alone in the dark with a broken leg.

"I live like five houses down, I think I'll survive!" He leaned closer to me while laughing. "Also, you smell like cigarettes. So I think maybe you should worry about that a little more than me."

"Wait, really?" I asked, not even knowing if I'd get in trouble or not, but definitely not wanting to chance it. "Um, what should I do?"

"Here." He gave me a spare shirt of his he had in a jacket pocket. "This should cover it up!"

"Dinger.. why do you have a shirt in your coat?"

"Um, no time to explain! I really gotta go now" He ran/hobbled to his house and I put the shirt on before walking into the house. I checked the time and it was only 9:45. Pretty good for me, since I didn't wear a watch and I have no sense of time.

"Hey guys, I'm home!"

"Hi Hope!" My mother sang at me, "How was your day?"

"Oh it was so much fun! The school was a little confusing, but there was a super good pizza shop and a cool arcade!"

"Darling, I'm so glad you're liking it here!" My mom hugged me. "Is that your shirt?"

"Yeah? Haven't you seen it before?"

"Hm, I guess not. Well anyways, get to sleep. School is coming up soon, and I want your sleep schedule to be on track!"

"G'night, mom."

"Goodnight sweetheart." She smiled warmly.
I walked upstairs and was surprisingly pretty tired. I took off my shoes and immediately fell asleep.