7 | SENT AWAY

CHAPTER SEVEN | SENT AWAY

{ third person }

Even Mr. D didn't reach for his can of Diet Coke all throughout the story of the three demigods' dreams. His gambling cards were placed messily over the table, and he sat in his chair deep in thought as he listened to the three dreams.

"Chiron, what could this all mean?" Travis asked.

"None of us are even twelve yet and our dreams showed us the gods fighting for Malia's hand in marriage." Clarisse scoffed, slightly disgusted at the idea.

Chiron shook his head, "they wouldn't present any engagement rings to her now. They would do so in the mere future-perhaps when she is fifteen years of age or so."

"That's still pretty young."

"Well it looks like it's beginning sooner than that," Mr. D sighed. "And if it is the four gods you three tell me of, then this war will be, by far, one of the ugliest wars we have ever seen."

"Why do you say that?" Clarisse asked.

Mr. D rolled his eyes, "think about it, child. Ares is the god of war and violence, his wars are always ugly. Zeus is the kind of gods, therefore he is allowed to break his own laws if that means winning the war. Hermes and Apollo are very selfish, very easily offended and full of themselves. The rest of the gods will be forced to chose sides. Most likely, Poseidon and Hades will chose to fight opposite each other due to the resentment the have for one another. With the Big Three fighting against each other rather than with each other, the damage that will be caused will be . . . impeccable."

"What do you suggest we do, Mr. D?" Chiron asked.

"What should we do? I'll tell you what we should do," Mr. D took a swig of his Diet Coke as if it were wine. "we should pack up our things and move to another planet, let them sort this out on their own. When they're done, we'll come back and wait for them to tell us to clean up their mess."

"That sounds like a great plan." Travis nodded in agreement.

"Maybe we should just have Malia go to Olympus when it all begins and announce who she'd rather marry when she comes of age." Clarisse suggested, "That way it'll be clear to them all."

Chiron stared down at the table, shaking his head. "If she does that than the gods she didn't chose might take it to offense, the war may continue anyway."

Mr. D tossed his empty Diet Coke into the trash behind him, "Unless she makes the wiser decision of choosing Zeus. In that case, she would be queen, and what she and Zeus decide together goes."

The two demigods looked to Malia and so did Mr. D, their brows arched high as they looked to her for an answer. Chiron left his gaze focused on the table as he thought deeply. As much as Malia would love to end this war before it even began, she wasn't sure she was willing to marry Zeus to do it. Especially with Hera being the type of goddess that she was, the day would come that Hera would destroy her and take the throne back. But, boy, was it nice to think that she could be queen.

Malia stuttered, "I don't-I'm not sure if . . . There's got to be another way."

"There is no other way, girl." Mr. D leaned back, shuffling his gambling cards and not even bothering to look at her. "Either you marry the king and become safe under his protection, or you can chose none of the gods at all and allow the war to destroy the planet and every last-"

"Mr. D, I think we've scared the poor child enough." Chiron suddenly interrupted, his aged voice was dangerously low and surprisingly enough, Mr. D stopped talking. He turned back to Malia, "If you don't mind, Ms. Dwyer, I would like to finish this conversation later. It would do us all some good to thoroughly think through every possibility. In the mean time, I think it might be best that we write a letter home and inform your mother on this ongoing situation."

Travis and Clarisse stood from their seats. Clarisse passed her, sending Malia a nod and clapping her on the back whilst Travis sent her a weak smile. The three half-bloods had grown tired during the conversation after barely defeating their ADHD as they wracked their brains for answers, not to mention that the day had grown old and nothing but the silver moonlight and balcony lamps offered any lighting.

Chiron had led Malia inside to write to her mother in Phoenix:

Dear Ms. Dwyer,

After conversing with your daughter, Malia Evelyn Dwyer, and several other demigods for a lengthy period of time, it has been determined that for the sake of her safety, your daughter will not be returning home this coming fall.

We apologize for the sudden change of plans, Mr. D and I are sure you and Malia's elder sister, Isabella, were ecstatic to have finally been able to see your child after so many years. Unfortunately, it seems as though Malia has been targeted by several questionable gods and we are concerned for her safety.

May you have any questions or concerns, feel free to write a letter back to Camp Half-Bloods camp directors and we will respond as quickly as we can manage.

Our deepest apologies,

Chiron