Replacement (2/3)

In which some kid named Harvey comes, out of nowhere mind you, and steals Peter's spotlight. Tony is ignoring him, the Avengers are drifting, and Peter doesn't want to stay at the tower anymore. A little momma love can go a long way.

Peter spent the rest of his birthday with Ned, MJ, Nat, and Pepper. Peter was a little sad that it was only them but it was fine, he was happy.

It was still a good birthday. It was definitely one of his favorites so far.

"So," Pepper said at breakfast the next morning. "May's coming back tomorrow. She was worried when I called about you and she asked to go home early."

"She didn't have to do that-."

"She did it for you, Peter. She loves you a lot, and so do we. We just want you to be happy."

"I missed her so much," Peter said. "May's awesome. Also, I'll get to stay home and be left in my own sadness."

Peter said it as a joke but the look on Nat and Pepper's face told him that they weren't planning on that happening.

"You see, Peter," Nat's voice was softer than anyone thought was possible. "We thought it was best to tell her what happened. She was livid at Tony and the others."

Pepper butted in, "understandably so. Anyways, she's gonna stay here. When we told her that, she told us in return that you'd probably want to be able to see us everyday and all that."

"Wait, so we're all gonna be staying here? Together? Like a family?" Peter was hopeful.

"Yeah, Pete. Like a family."

Peter didn't know which lady said it but soon his heart was beating hard against his chest and he pulled the two in for a hug.

Obviously, they hugged back.

Peter had to go back to school though. Taking off from school and weekends only lasted so long.

But Peter had Ned and MJ to hang out with, so he reasoned that he would be fine. Pepper and Nat went to the tower. Pepper went for work and Nat went to punch the shit out of stuff.

Everything was fine until Pepper was in Tony's lab and the lights blinked, FRIDAY saying, "code PP."

Pepper thought it was some sex joke and almost told Tony off for it. But when she saw Tony's dismissal of it, she asked what it was.

"Oh, it just means something's happening with Peter Parker. That's what the PP stands for. I forgot to turn it off," Tony replied nonchalantly.

"Uhm, what does it entail? It goes off when what happens to Peter? Also, FRIDAY, make sure the alarm only goes off wherever I am now, not in Tony's lab."

"Oh, just things like sensory overloads, panic attacks, if he self harms, if his heart rate is too high or too low. I have one for when he goes out as Spiderman, too."

"FRIDAY, make sure the Spiderman one also goes off wherever I am."

"You got it, Ms. Potts."

Pepper looked back at Tony, "are you going to help him?"

"No, the kid can handle himself."

Pepper looked at him, pure rage and disgust filling her face, "I'm disappointed in you, Tony. I always thought you were being a good father to this kid.

"Clearly, I was wrong because you threw him aside the moment this kid showed up. I thought you were growing to be a good man, a great one. I am so, so wrong."

Pepper turned quickly and left. She had to stop herself from running to get to Nat and then she had to stop Nat from running to the car.

"I'm driving," Pepper said. "I know where his school is and I know where he'll be."

"How do you know?" asks Nat.

"Tony used to tell me. He'd be so worried about his kid and then he'd tell me about all the weird hiding places the Peter hid when he was panicking and similar stuff."

"Used to," Nat repeated, anger on her tongue.

Pepper nodded, the same burning anger at the man who hurt Peter. They'd feel better about it if it didn't feel like Peter was their own child, but they both truly loved Peter like a son.

Nat and Pepper got to Midtown in record time. They ran into the office and demanded to be let in, Pepper knowing all she had to do was ask FRIDAY where he was.

"I need some form of identification," the desk lady drones on, tired of the day.

Pepper put her ID down quickly, just itching to go into the school and find Peter.

"From both of you."

Natasha put hers down to. The desk lady looked at them for a moment, who they were not really sinking in.

"Alright, what kid are you here to pick up?"

"We just need to visit one of the teachers," Pepper excused the two.

"Okay, which teacher?"

Pepper racked her brain. Who did Peter talk about a lot? Mr. Harrison!

"We're here to see Mr. Harrison."

"Alright, our these on and go on in," the desk lady handed the two women passes simply stating their names and their ID's back.

"Thank you," Pepper said, Nat just nodding at the lady. The pair run into the school, Pepper already asking FRIDAY where Peter was.

"In the boys bathroom, 300's hallway," FRIDAY responded.

Seeing Pepper Stark, the most powerful female in the world, and Natasha Romanoff, the Black Widow, running through the halls and into the boys bathroom was certainly a sight to behold.

Pepper looked at Nat and held a finger to her lips. She pulled a small chip out of her pocket. The chip quickly and silently grew into a pair of noise cancelling headphones.

After putting those on Peter, she look out lightweight glasses and helped Peter get those on.

Then, both her and Nat worked together to help Peter up. Peter wasn't particularly heavy but neither woman wanted to grip him enough to trigger more senses.

They led Peter out of the school and into the car. Beginning a silent drive home, the trip buckled up and stared out windows, except for Pepper who drove.

They got home to May sitting at the front. She had taken the first flight out and got to the house the next day.

Without a key though, she couldn't get into the house. The first thing May did was go hug Peter.

It was turned into a group hug and they stayed like that for a solid minute. Peter's head hurt but it hurt a lot less.

When they all got in, May said, "I love you, Peter. We all do. And even if the others are distracted with some other boy, you've got us."

Peter nodded, "I love you too, May. I love all you guys."

And maybe all wasn't well between Peter and the other avengers. But, hell, all Peter really needed was May, Pepper, and Nat. They were the real superheroes here.

And Peter would never be replaced in their eyes.