Babysitting

“Neeeeeaaaaaaarrrrrrrr!” You whined at your younger cousin, not understanding how someone could spend hours reassembling the same puzzle. 

The white haired boy glanced at you over his shoulder, acknowledging you with a quiet grunt before returning to his puzzle. 

“How can you stand this? Don't you tire of the same puzzle? I bet you have memorized every place for every piece by now.” You rubbed your eyes before pinching the bridge of your nose. Babysit him for a week. He said. It'll be fine. He said. You two will have fun, it'll be good for him.He said. Right now, all you wanted to do was complain at the elderly man. 

     You were ignored, as always. Near was far too into his puzzle to give you any form of attention. You weren't having that. Oh no no, little man. He has been doing this for hours, it was time for him to hang out with you. You quietly left your position on the couch and crept up behind him, wrapping your arms around his shoulders and cuddling into his back. Near tensed at your actions, obviously not used to physical contact. 

“Near.” 

He sighed heavily. “Yes?” 

“Play with meeeeeeee~” You whined childishly. 

“Fine.” 

“Yay~!” You cried happily, pulling him back onto you and placing your legs on either side of him, hugging him tightly. 

“______.” Near said, in his usual monotone. 

“Hmm?”

“You're cutting off my oxygen supply.”

“...oh.” You released him and jumped up, pulling him with you. “So, what do you wanna do?” 

“Let's go see L. Maybe he can bore you to sleep.” He murmured quietly. 

“What was that?” 

“Let's go visit L. I hear he's off today.” He said a bit louder, twirling a piece of his silky hair between his fingers. 

     You smiled and grabbed his free hand, dragging him to L's room. You hadn't seen L in a while. You two used to hang out all the time. You joked about his weird habits and he would always reply stating the fact that you didn't mind being seen with a weirdo like him. You missed it and hoped he didn't change much. Hardly able to contain your excitement, you knocked softly on his door.

“Yes?” A familiar voice was heard on the inside. 

Dragging your loving little cousin with you, you walked into his room. Near closed the door behind you. “Hello, L.” You said happily.

     The boy, no, scratch that, the man turned his chair around to face you. You were barely able to hold back a gasp at his appearance. Bags seemed to have taken permanent residence under his dark eyes, his hair sticking in every direction, his skin pale from lack of sunlight. The corner of your mouth twitched when you seen he still sat in his unusual position. 

“Oh. Hello, ______, Near.” He greeted, his voice hoarse from the lack of usage, no doubt. 

“L.” You said in a chiding tone. “You look awful! Are you still living on sweets?” You let go of your poor little cousin and walked up to L, placing your hands on either sides of his face, forcing him to look up at you so you could examine him. Your thumbs traced the bags under his eyes lightly. 

The pale man's eyes widened briefly at the contact he had denied many times before. 

“You need sun! It's good for you!” You continued, turning his head to look at the rest of his face. 

He remained quiet. 

“When was the last time you slept?” You demanded. 

His eyes clouded slightly, obviously in deep thought. “Four days ago.” 

Your mouth dropped open. “Oh no, mister.” 

“Good luck.” Near said as he slowly backed out, scoring a point for himself. He planned to bring you to L, knowing you would bother him instead. Little ol' loving cousin had counted on your maternal side. 

You paid no attention to Near. 

“It's a pleasure to see you again.” He said politely. 

“Oh, I’m sure it is.” You said. “Come on.” You dropped your hands from his face before grabbing his hand and dragging him out of his chair. 

“Where are we going?” L asked, curiosity obvious behind his sentence. 

“We're walking to the cafe. You're going to eat something normal and get some sunlight. You're going to kill yourself living this way!” You fussed as you searched around for some form of shoes. 

“I don't suppose there's any way I can get out of this, is there?” He asked. 

“You've got a sharp mind there, detective.” You replied, placing shoes at his feet. 

He simply stared at them as if they were a foreign object. 

“Place your feet in there or I will do it for you.” 

    He did as you instructed and you proceeded to drag him out. You dragged him to Near's room, opening the door without knocking. Again, he was too preoccupied with his puzzle to notice you. Sighing, you pulled L with you to stand in front of him. 

“Think you can live for thirty minutes without us? Unless you want to come.” 

“Where?” 

“The cafe down the street.” 

“I'll be fine.” He murmured, still working on his puzzle. 

You nodded and dragged poor little Lawliet out of the house.