Madison

I smooth my skirt down so that it rests just past my knees underneath my robes, tapping one burgundy heel on the floor impatiently. I’m standing at the door to my classroom, waiting for my kids to show up for today. It seems as if everyone is taking their sweet time.

I may or may not just be anxious to hear back from Mr. Malfoy. The more I thought about him being present for my break down, the more irked I become. I need to set the boundaries straight before he blurs the lines again. I’m going to nip that habit in the bud.

I watch the minute hands on my watch tick forward, realizing that the halls are still empty and it’s five minutes past. I’m planning a pop quiz for virtually everyone when I see Cissette skip around the corner.

“Good morning, Professor!” She chirps, hands folded neatly behind her back as she skids to a stop in front of me.

“Cissette, where is everyone?” I ask her, my irritation evident. She gives me a funny look, one that makes me feel as if I’m about to be embarrassed.

“Professor; it’s Saturday.” I crease my brows in confusion. Is she right? I can’t remember. I knew something like this was going to happen.

“Oh,” I said quietly, suddenly shy to be in front of this little girl. She smiled kindly at me and I could tell she wasn’t judging me for it. Bless her for that.

“How’s your daughter?” She asked me; my mood visibly brightened.

“She’s well, thank you. She’s getting over a fever. How’s your father?” I could have smacked myself. It had slipped out before I had time to really think through my response. She’d brought up my family member so I brought up hers.

She gave me a knowing smile before she answered.

“I don’t know. I haven’t heard from him in a few days. I’ll see you at lunch, Professor Clark. I’m off to find Jimmy Knot.” She skipped off, a spring in her step and a smile on her face.

The child puzzled me, to say the least. It was like she was seeing deep into me as I did into her. I felt like we were connected in a way that only family could. It was completely odd and improper; I did my best to not acknowledge it, but I felt myself drawn to her. I just couldn’t figure out why.

I didn’t dwell on the fact that I was so completely out of whack I came to class on the wrong day. I simply went back to sitting at my desk. I graded some papers and tried to push away thoughts of my past.

The only good thing that had come out of it was this job and Minerva’s kind support. Without her here I seriously would have had no options left. I shudder to think at the life I’d be living without her. I needed this job to support my baby girl and my mother. I was the bread winner now; it was tough having all of that weight on my shoulders.

I couldn’t afford to eat out, and I didn’t often enjoy doing it alone either. Everything I’d done with Jack I no longer did at all. It wasn’t worth it anymore. I barely ever had fun unless I was with Faith. I never went to movies or shows, never to Quidditch games and especially not vacation.

I stopped my musing long enough to tuck my papers in my bag. I made my way back to my room, hoping not to run into anybody and have to explain why I was dressed for class. Luck was on my side and I was safely back into my dormitory and slipping out of my robes fairly quickly.

I changed into jeans but left my unbuttoned blouse on. With most of my papers graded I found myself curling up on my couch to read a book. It felt like the right kind of day to spend just relaxing.

Leon still hadn’t returned with a reply from Mr. Malfoy and I was wondering just how long he’d take to return my dear owl.

I skipped right over lunch and the next time I checked the clock it was dinner time. My stomach seemed to growl just as I realized the late hour. I tucked my book back on its shelf and slipped back on my robes. I stepped out of my door and out into the hallway, heading in the direction of the Great Hall.