Preface.

As I laid on the table, my ass nearly falling off as the doctor stuck different equipment into my vagina, all I could do was breathe. My breath was shaky as she opened my cervix, preparing it for the insertion of my IUD.

As I felt pain run through my body, I desperately grasped onto the Tinkerbell necklace my late aunt had given me when I was little.

My doctor walked me through what she was doing, but all I could hear was mumbling.

After nearly half an hour, we were done.

"Expect some heavy bleeding for about a week. Some people spot for about six mon-"

"UM, SIX MONTHS?" I cut her off.

"Yes. Be back in about four weeks and we'll check up on that IUD to make sure it's in the right place. Be sure you use condoms until you come back and I can confirm you're all set." She walked me out. I could never remember her name, and I never looked to see what it was.

As I walked out of the Kaiser, my legs felt sore. It was only 10:30AM. I still had to go back to school. I ran as fast as I could, considering the procedure I'd just had done, I just barely made it on time to get on the train. I hopped on, and sat back. I threw on some headphones and let my music envelope me into nothingness. For once, I had a blank mind. The complications with my friend groups went away. The awkwardness between myself and Maximilliano had disappeared. The stress of junior year dissolved.

In that moment, it felt like there was nothing wrong, other than the physical pain.

And I could not have been any more wrong.