Prologue

October 31, 1981

I could tell that something was going on when Papa told me that I couldn't go Trick or Treating. Clutching my empty candy bucket in one small hand, I walked towards the open parlor where I could see the silhouette of my mum gently rocking my baby brother Draco.

As I got closer, I could see her look quickly from me to Draco. She quickly came to a stop. She furrowed her brows and gently guided me towards the dark green velvet couch in the middle of the room. I folded my arms across my glittery fairy princess dress and stared into the fire. I sniffled and the fire blurred and began to melt. I turned my head to face Mummy. She cooed and pulled me into her chest with one hand. It was hard to tell if the cooing was meant for me or my baby brother.

"Papa! He's what's wrong, Mummy!"

"Hush, darling! Draco's sleeping." I frowned at my sleeping brother. It was hard to decide if he was better asleep or awake. He opened his eyes, reached out a tiny hand, and snatched the flower crown from my head. Definitely better asleep. For now anyways.

I snatched the crown back and stomped towards the dollhouse that was humongous and looked like a fairytale castle. I poked the tiny baby crib and giggled. I knew Mummy wouldn't scold me. She loved me too much. I nearly cried when I heard Draco sobbing. I was about to run back to Mummy, but I heard Papa's shoes on the wooden floor outside. I shrank into the dollhouse. Maybe if I stay still like my dolls, he wouldn't be mad at me.

"Narcissa, is Ursa in here?"

"Yes. What did you say to her?"

"I told her that she wouldn't be able to go out and collect her candy. That is all!"

"LUCIUS! She's only three! She worked so hard on her costume. She did so well, too. Why can't she go?"

"If you had actually sat in the parlor for any significant amount of time today, you would know that the Dark Lord has found the boy!" I turned and saw Mum and Papa standing in the doorway. Papa was pushing Draco's little hand out his face and frowning at Mum.

"Well excuse me if-wait... What? The boy has been found? Should Ursa stay and listen? I don't want her to be distressed." Papa turned and smiled at me.

"Ursa, darling, come here."

"Yes, Papa?" I left my empty bucket by the dollhouse and ran into his arms. He lifted me up and pecked me on the cheek.

"Darling, I need you and Draco to go to bed. I need to talk to your Mother in private." I nodded and he set me down rather roughly. He brushed glitter off of his dressing gown and shooed me out into the hall.

I bounced up the staircase with Mummy and Papa trailing behind me. We met our house elf Dobby on the landing. Dobby smiled at me and lead me up to my room. He began shaking when Papa walked past. He untied my fairy wings and handed me a set of pyjamas. I retreated into my walk in closet and changed.

When I returned, Dobby had turned down my duvet and he was now huddled in a corner of my room adjusting the bandages on his hands. I hopped into my bed and Papa planted a kiss on my cheek. Mummy stroked my forehead. She sat on the edge of my bed at stared at me for a moment. It looked like she had been crying.

"What's wong, Mummy?" she shook her head and smiled.

"Nothing, darling." she kissed my forehead again.

"That's right. Nothing's wrong." Papa looked at Mummy and smiled quickly. They both said their good-nights and left with Dobby to put Draco to sleep.

I stared up at my bed's pink canopy that had fairy lights weaved around the top. I picked at the lace near my chin and began to think about all the candy my friends had gotten. I was about to go to sleep when I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in." Dobby poked his wrinkled head around my door. He shuffled over to my bed.

"Are you alright, Mistress Ursa?"

"Dobby, what's going on? Why is Mummy sad?"

"Miss, some people have been hurt very badly. One of your father's friends has vanished." Dobby looked scared.

"Oh. I hope Mummy will be alright."

"I'm not sure, Miss. I don't think that she'll be alright until this war is over. Goodnight, Miss. Stay safe."

"You and Mummy are here. I'll be safe." Dobby smiled and left. I snuggled into bed and soon grew tired.