Steve - If he loves me back

Requested by Seltydemon

Alright so I don't think I'm too good at writing Steve, that's why he might be out of character. I also wasn't too sure at how to write this, I don't know why I was having such a hard time, but let's just say that I'm not good at Steve. Also, I changed the suggestion a bit due to the difficulty I had, and it also ended up a bit shorter, though I hope you still like what came of it.

Endgame spoilers

*

It was done.

He did it...he really did it.

You weren't sure what was happening at the time, lying in the middle of nowhere under a pile of debris, both of your legs crushed. All you could feel was pain, both physical and mental.

You watched helplessly as Tony snapped his fingers, ultimately killing him in the process. You watched as Peter and Pepper stood by his side, both broken like you were. You were pulled from your thoughts by a voice.

"Y/n? Y/n! Are you okay?" It was Steve, worry clear in his voice as he rushed to your side.

"I can't feel my legs...it hurts so much." You whimpered in pure agony, wondering if you'll ever walk again. Steve quickly lifted the large piece off of you with slight difficulty, throwing it aside. He put his shield on his back and tried to pick you up, only resulting in another rush of pain to shoot up your spine.

"No, no! Don't, it hurts!" You cried out as he moved aside, swallowing a lump in his throat. The worry was clear on his face, pained from everything that had happened.

*

Everyone had gathered, black suits and dresses screaming death and loss. Everyone was standing, except for you. You were sitting in a wheelchair, the fate of your legs set- you will never walk again. Steve was next to you, his hand on your shoulder at an attempt to comfort you.

You knew Tony longer than anybody here- even longer than Pepper did. He was like a brother to you, and his death was like a hole in your very being that could never be filled. You were all mourning- for both Tony and Natasha...

Clint was a wreck, being the only one that witnessed her death.

Everybody was talking and exchanging words about them, all of the best things and how much they will be missed.

You were the only one sat alone by the lake, watching the still water. Your reflection felt wrong.

It should have been me.

It's probably what everyone was telling themselves...

You felt a hand on your shoulder, but you didn't react, immediately recognizing it as Steve's. You heard he was going back to return all of the stones and was also given any amount of time given to stay in the past.

"How long were you gone?" You questioned, rather looking at his reflection in the water. "Not long..." He whispered the response, sitting down on the bench that was placed next to you.

"Why not? You could have stayed with Peggy...had a normal life, a family..." You stated, smiling bitterly. "Well...I did think of that...but I found out that she already had one of her own." You hummed with a small nod, understanding.

"Besides...I have all I need right here." He whispered, gently squeezing your shoulder. That made you look up slowly, meeting the blue of his eyes as he leaned closer, resting his forehead against your own gently.

The closeness made your cheeks warm up, your breath coming out slow. "Really?" You questioned carefully, glancing between his eyes and lips.

"Really." Was all he said, filling the space between you two in a gentle and loving kiss. "I want to be with the one I learned to love...if he loves me back..." He stated, waiting for any kind of response.

Your eyes avoided looking into his, afraid of getting lost.

"He does."

You whispered, your hand holding onto his tenderly.

"He does love you back."