Chapter 2

The entire village was chaotic, shouts of "The Lady Queen has arrived!" echoing throughout the streets. Sophie rushed to the door of the smithy, peering out into streets just in time to see what all the commotion was about. The Lady Queen herself. She tried to keep her jaw from dropping.

She was beautiful, not just beautiful but stunning. She was tall and lean, her cheekbones and jawline high and well defined. Her lips were full, her hair thick and long, white silk waves falling well past her hips. Everything about her was elegant, from the way she swung off her monstrous sized black stallion, to the way she drew her hands in front of her, to the way her eyes swept back and forth among the crowd.

"Where's the Lord Hayati?" Her voice was smooth and even as she blinked slowly, eyes panning the crowd. Dmitry quickly moved to greet the Queen, despite her request for Hayati. "Welcome my Queen, we weren't expecting you for another several days--" The Lady Queen interrupted Dmitry. "Yes, we met a man along the way who agreed to transport a small caravan here with fresh horses and feed our soldiers until we returned. We arrived here much quicker because of the man's kindness I hope there is no issue." She blinked dully, her face set. It wasn't a question, there was no issue, and even if there had been he wasn't to mention it. She made that apparent. "O-Of course not, My Queen--"

"Where is Hayati? You're obviously not him, he writes with much composure and you are far too young to have such wisdom." She cracked a smile, "Unless you've simply aged far better than the rest of us." Dmitry forced a chuckle, bowing his head, "As I was explaining, We weren't expecting you. Hayati will be here within the day." The Lady Queen spun around, clapping her hands together. "Well!," she declared, "at least let me meet my lovely candidates." Dmitry flashed a smile, "Of course! The tournament won't be until tomorrow but you're more than welcome to speak with each and every village member." Dmitry's smile didn't waver, but his voice was harsh within Sophie's mind. Stay inside, that's an order. Sophie sighed, slightly irritated, slightly touched.

Hayati and the Elders asked me to do this. Their authority it higher than yours. Dmitry's smile quickly turned into a sad grin, his eyes finding hers.

You know that at the first word I'll whisk you away from this place, don't you? Tell me you're unhappy and you will never have to see this place again.

Sophie let out a deep breath through her nose, smiling. I'm not sure if I should be touched you're willing to defy Hayati's direct orders for me, or terrified not even Hayati can rein you in.

The Lady Queen spoke again, "Well, point me in their direction and I'd be happy to." Dmitry ignored her entirely, smirking in Sophie's direction. He grinned devilishly, You know you're the only person I'll actually listen to. Sophie raised a brow, a smug grin teasing at her face. Is that why you're currently ignoring the Queen of Laine? Dmitry's eyes widened as his head snapped to face the Lady Queen. "Beg pardon, your Majesty?" The Queen smirked, "Who were you just staring at so frivolously?" Dmitry looked panicked. "No one, Your Grace. Simply lost in thou—"

"Pardon if I'm overstepping my boundaries, but I know a look of love when I see one." Dmitry flushed, glancing towards Sophie as his eyes widened.

Help me, he mouthed towards her. Sophie pulled a taunting face at him, Nope. She mouthed back.

The Queen's eyes followed Dmitry's and landed on Sophie. She tried to keep her heart rate as steady as her eyes, tried not to show how intimidated she was of the Queen. She wasn't sure if she had succeeded or not. "You, Young lady," the Queen called, "Come say hello, won't you?" Sophie moved quickly, stepping out of the shadows and dipping a polite, though clumsy, curtsy. "Sophie Mendala, your majesty. How may I help?" The Queen's eyes narrowed at her rather fondly as her lips parted, a single thought entering Sophie's mind. I like this one. Sophie's heart dropped.