CHAPTER 3

ALABAMA PINES—JASON ISBELL

______September 16th, 2015High Valley Farm_______

______
September 16th, 2015
High Valley Farm
_______

"Now hold a cotton pickin' minute. It sounds almost like yer sellin' yer soul to the devil," she interjected.

Morgan and her mother sat beside each other at the table, scouring through the contract.

She agreed that the terms laid out were a bit off-putting but unlike her mother, she was hooked on her potential salary. They wouldn't just be able to pay the backlog of rent but also buy the property outright. Her family would be set for life.

"I'm surry pumpkin, but this is wonky. I got a strong feelin' in the ole Berta." Her mother flipped through the pages. "What's that say?" she asked.

Because her mother was illiterate, she struggled to understand most text and had become reliant on Morgan and her father for most things.

Morgan slid the binder closer and read aloud. "Duties and responsibilities asked of the second party by the employer are an obligation and should be fulfilled."

Her mother was quick to shake her head in disapproval. "I don't know 'bout this. It's best to keep a-lookin'."

Sighing, she nodded and closed it shut. "Alright, ma. If ya say so."

Morgan felt a bit pessimistic in her endeavors. She had a job offer in front of her that paid more than what they could ever have hoped for and still, her mother was telling her not to take it. As if there were many more options out there. There weren't. Nobody wanted to hire a woman whose only experience was tending the fields.

Not wanting to go against her mother's wishes, she decided to drop it and instead focused on a worry-free night with Rhett. Like the good old days.

"I'm gonna get dressed," she told her mother, pushing off the table.

"Well, Imma be here. Probably goin' to watch me some westerns 'til yer father gets on home," she said with a sigh. "Ya have fun, alright?"

Morgan nodded, gave her mother's shoulder a squeeze, and headed to her room.

Rooting around her closet, her body danced to the tune of her stereo as it blasted country rock. She fluttered around her room, hauling things on until she was all dressed up and ready for a dinner out with Rhett.

• • •

By far the best barbecue in Shelby County, it was unsurprising that The Shed was packed with large crowds of hungry customers. Most were young families, too tired and stressed from work to make a home-cooked meal.

The Shed was a country-style restaurant with a flair for musical entertainment. Most of the bands that played ranged from either amateurs and music enthusiasts to undiscovered artists looking for their next big break. In any case, it was all the rave in Pelham; a home away from home.