30 The Art Comes in Handy

"Mom? Dad? Boy, you're home early... I thought you weren't coming back till Sunday?..." Mom sets the bags down and looks around. "Why does it smell like smoke mixed with Febreeze? Have you been smoking in the house?! Marijuana?" I take mom's luggage and don't answer her so I head upstairs. On my way up I knock on Molly's door quietly; she barely opens the door. "They're home and found out I'm high as a fucking kite! You have got to hide or hit the road... I don't know what they're gonna do when they find out about change being gone from take out. Or fucking finding out we had to blow heads off of people... Hell I don't wanna know what flip out mom's gonna have it she find out Cas slept over... I'm dead. We are dead." I shrug. I have two choices wait till they go to their room and unpack sneak out the basement door or out my window; both were a risk I have to take. If I climbed out the window it's possible I would fall and break my neck, if I went out the back door I could still get caught... Only the punishment would be way worse. "Leave it to me, I'll find a way out." I whisper.
"Where the hell is my change?! Stanley?!" Stanley turns his head to hear dad making his way upstairs, "Make a decision quick, Moll's... I'm as good as dead."

I decide to try and sneak out the window I just needed a cushion of some sort or at least to make sure that I was extremely careful. I could try a spell but I had to be quick about it, "Here I go, Touch the ground touch the ground land on without a sound. Touch the ground, touch the ground land on without a sound..." As I climbed on the ledge I saw dad head out for one more bag but didn't look up thank God. I repeated the spell over and over as I tried to climb down I lost my balance and my footing and all I remember was this blackness, my eyes slamming shut waiting to break something. But when I opened my eyes I didn't touch the ground at all in fact I was floating a mere inches above it right before my face hit the pavement. I waited for the front door to open with this look of horror I could only imagine would be my death but nothing happened. Thank you God.

I stood up and dusted the snow off my coat and began to run toward the other direction which would be the park. For a few minutes a thought of heading to Cas house dawned on me but then again how awkward would that have been? Stanley's younger sister going to his best friends house during the middle of the day? I knew how men were now... Possibly manipulative and into the groove thing something I wasn't down for; especially since he was four years older than me. But I'll admit he was pretty cute. With his brown hair in waves, his bright green eyes and freckles that covered certain places on his arms... His adorable smile... No! Ew! Are you fucking sick?! He probably has a girlfriend cause obviously I'm single. I'm not down for older men! I would have been content with Matt if he hadn't have played me like a piano... Then again I've known Cassius for awhile. Since Stanley was 14... Around my age. As the perverted thought crossed my mind I just left it at that.

I made it to town and decided it would be better to make do with the small diner they had, the diner I would have gone to that night with Matt. The more I tried to not think about it the more pissed I couldn't help but become... It wasn't fair. How dare he trick me, how dare he try to use me, to murder me. Was I destined to be used? Was this what my life was coming to? Was this what grandmother meant by enemies? My friends were enemies? Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Maybe that was what she meant she meant everyone I ever knew or trusted was turning on me... I would no longer see it coming.

As I sat there at the table a waitress came up to me; I read her name tag, "Josephine? Pretty name." I mumbled. She just smiled; she looked around my age maybe a year older. "Thanks. What can I get for you?" I didn't notice the menu for the first few moments so I made it quick. "Just a hot chocolate and some toast." Josephine scribbled it down, "You look like you're kinda hungry... You sure that's all you want? I mean figuratively speaking we only get old people in here and usually I'm alone. I'll get you something better." I just shrug and hand her the menu. "I feel like you're familiar. Don't you go to the high school or something?" Hung out with that semi popular dude?" Josephine asks taking a seat beside me. I nod not wanting much to make conversation, "Yea... I'm Molly; Molly Jansen. I'm the one who lost those girls in the fire a few weeks ago." Josephine doesn't talk much after that instead she stands up and prepares to walk away not before adding, "Believe it or not Esmeralda was my second cousin. We didn't see each other or get along much... Kinda glad she's gone. Whatever happened did us a favor." I don't respond.

I sit there staring out the window it begins to lightly snow I check my phone for any messages just one from Stanley:

Stanley: Mom and Dad are chill just Dad isn't ever leaving a quarter of a thousand ever again. I didn't open my mouth about you by the way... Where are you anyway I'll try to meet you there?

Molly: It's ok I kinda need to be alone for a little bit.

Stanley: Not good for you to be alone when you're sad... You know that, Moll's. Just please tell me where you are?

When Josephine brings a plate of toast, a Denver omelette and side of hash browns I'm unsure what to say or do, "I don't have the money for this you know? It's why I only wanted toast..." Josephine shrugs. "It's alright, don't worry about it's on the house. So tell me what's up with the long face?" I shrug as she's hands me my hot chocolate, "Just dealing with a lot..." Josephine nods. "I understand well I guess I should get back to work. My boss would say me alive, literally." She has this laugh that sounds light but not very cheerful like Kari. I just sit there and eat my meal in peace only the background music.