Me and My Dad, We're Less Formal

"Adrien, what have I told you about sneaking out without my permission?"

"School ended, and I wanted a snack." Adrien mumbled.

"A snack." Gabriel glowered at him. "You ditched your bodyguard just to get a snack?! You know very well that you have a very strict diet to stick to, Adrien. Not to mention that you openly disobeyed me by lying and not coming home on time!"

"I'm turning eighteen soon!" Adrien said, trying to contain his anger. "Can't I have some space? My bodyguard follows me literally everywhere I go, and while it was still somewhat acceptable back in freshman year, it's getting ridiculous now 4 years later."

"May I remind you that the reason you need that bodyguard is to keep you from getting in trouble. You obviously cannot be trusted on your own, especially after that stunt you did." Gabriel looked down on him.

"For fuck's sake!" Adrien shouted. "I'm nearly an adult! You can't treat me like this anymore!"

"I will not tolerate this kind of behavior!" Gabriel snapped. "Go to your room immediately, and stay there until you learn your place!"

Adrien angrily stomped into his room and slammed the door shut. He got into his bed and screamed into his pillow.

"Why won't he just goddamn understand?!" Adrien repeatedly punched the wall to try and vent his anger.

"Adrien?" Plagg flew out of his pocket. "I know you own the Miraculous of Destruction and all, but this is taking it a bit too far..."

"Not now Plagg!" Adrien hissed. Plagg was smart enough to shut up.

Adrien's relationship with his dad has only gotten worse and worse as Gabriel became more and more distant to him. Instead of treating him like a son, he simply acted as if he was no other than one of his employees. He didn't even allow Adrien to do things others his age were doing. In fact, he actually increased the amount of security and surveillance he had on Adrien, and it was driving him insane.

"I'll just be here. With my Camembert." Plagg's ears drooped and he floated to his stash of cheese.

It has even gotten to the point that Adrien's personality changed. Over time, the happy-go-lucky attitude that he had had disappeared. Instead of greeting everyone formally with a smile and being nice, he became more aloof and pessimistic. At first, it was subtle, but eventually his teachers and classmates started noticing the change as well. Naturally, Gabriel reprimanded his son for such behavior, but they did little to change his new attitude. If anything, his father's cruel words encouraged him to piss Gabriel off out of spite.

Adrien stood up. "Plagg? Look, I'm sorry for yelling at you. It's just that-"

"Yeah, yeah, you have your own issues with your dad to deal with. I get it Adrien, you need space, and I'm trying to do my best since your dad can't give that to you." Plagg sighed. "However, you have to remember that you own the Miraculous of Destruction, and if you get akumatized, who knows what will happen?"

Adrien felt a pang of regret for his outburst awhile ago. "I know Plagg, and I'm sorry. I should know better than this."

"It's not your fault kid. You're turning 18 in a couple of months. It's understandable that you want to be rebellious. Heck, it's perfectly normal to want to break a few rules at your age. What I'm trying to say is, you might hurt someone or yourself if you aren't careful."

"I'm trying my best. It's just so hard when my father is an absurdly strict disciplinarian."

"I understand. Goodnight Adrien."