Doctor Prisoner

Hello, this is Mamang Marya delivering review of my most recent k-drama watch; DOCTOR PRISONER. I will try my hardest to not give away any spoiler for the readers who haven't watch it yet and happen to bump into this review in hope to know if its worth your time. BUT NO PROMISES SO TAKE THE RISK.

So, Doctor Prisoner, a 2019 k-drama show in KBS2 written by Park Kye-Ok and directed by Hwang In-Hyuk. It has 32 episodes (30 minutes each) and aired on March 20-May 15, 2019. This drama is starred by Namgung Min and Kwon Na-ra, with veterans Kim Byung-Chul and Choi Won-Young. This drama genre is classified as romance but seriously, it is more on Crime and Suspense.

 This drama genre is classified as romance but seriously, it is more on Crime and Suspense

PLOT

The synopsis I got from Asianwiki says:

Na Yi-Je (Namgung Min) is a surgeon with excellent skills and he also is a kind person. He gets involved in a medical accident which he did not cause. The medical accident leads Na Yi-Je to get kicked out of the hospital where he works. He then begins to work as the chief of a prison medical clinic.

Well, synopsis isn't supposed to spoil, and that implied in this drama. I love reading synopsis before starting a drama, it helps me expect what could happen in the drama and most of the time, it serves me as a guide. In this drama, a 32-episode (or 16-ep if 1hr/ep), there's a whole lot of what happened in there than this synopsis prepared me to see. It just basically serves as a background and a what-happened instead of what-will-happen.

If you love medical drama the way I do, you can try watching this drama. But it took the whole medical-drama-concept to another level by not focusing on what always happen in the surgery room or in the hospital, but most scenes happened in a medical clinic in a prison and tackled its politics within. That is why the genre is classified more as crime/suspense than medical drama.

If you also love politics drama, those where the lead character has that hidden picture of corrupt people connected with lines board serving as guide to expose them of their crimes and put them in jail? (like the picture below) Then this drama is that! This drama is so smart you couldn't blame the lead male of why he did things the way he does. But oh, even if this seems like a serious drama, I enjoyed bits effort of lightness through petty situations and savageness.

 But oh, even if this seems like a serious drama, I enjoyed bits effort of lightness through petty situations and savageness