Loner- Chapter 1

Beeeeeeeeeep......

Dead. He's dead and I didn't even say goodbye or I love you...

"Emerson Carter? We know how your feeling..." The social worker droaned on, but I was too lost in my thoughts.

Where will I go? My mom is all the way in Michigan, my grandmother and grandpa are dead, and my one aunt has twelve kids. They can't put me in foster care! They just can't!

"So we contacted your mother, and in two weeks you will be living with her and her seven year old daughter in Michigan." The social worker finished.

She stared at me expectantly. As if waiting for me to argue, lash out, or throw a fit. But I didn't. I stayed quiet, every now and then a tear escaping.

"I'll leave you for a few minutes." She gave me a sympathetic smile and left the hospital room, closing the door shut behind her.

I turned to my lifeless father, laying on the milky-white hospitalized sheets. His eyes closed and breathing seized to exist.

"Daddy... I wish you would've told me about you having Cancer. I would've spent more time with you than out and about with Michelle. I love you and I wish you the best as you crossover. I'll see you soon, I promise." I covered his cold hand with mine and smiled a very tiny faint smile. I reached up and brushed the raven black hair I inherited from him away from his forehead, tracing the laughing lines around his face.

My dad was a very positive guy. Darren Carter, the guy who feeds the homeless, locals would say. Darren Carter, the guy who volunteers at shelters and gives homely goods away to the homeless. Darren Carter, the guy who died of Lung Cancer from inhaling smoke from the construction sites he worked at. Darren Carter... Gone.

"I love you daddy and I'll remember I promise." I kissed his forehead and stood up, brushing away invisible dirt, blinking away hot fresh tears. I walked out the room, chanting dad's words.

"Emy, your gonna be a successful young beautiful girl and you are gonna find the love of your life. I promise. Just have hope. I love you."

The hot Michigan sun was beating down on me as I brought boxes from the U-Haul and into the big white Victorian house in front of me.

I so don't belong here... I thought as I brought my box of band t-shirts inside the living room.

It's been a week since my dad's funeral, it all went by with a blob of nothing. I don't remember nothing. Only the burial site. I was like a walking, talking, functional zombie. Just going through the motions.

"Set it down anywhere." Emilia Davis, my guardian and my mother. A tall, brunette, and beautiful. She has the looks of a model, but an exotic dancer body. When I was seven she divorced my dad took most of his wealth, leaving me and dad high and dry barely making ends meet, while she moved back to her hometown and went through many men, until she became pregnant again with my half- sister, Emily. Apparently, she's named after my dad's mom.

"I was." I coldly stated, rolling my eyes.

"Um, okay then..." She looked guilty, regretful, pitiful, but hurt. For some odd reason I felt bad that I was so mean and unforgiving then i remembered she made me rude and to have trust issues. She hurt my dad emotionally and for that I resent her.

"Where's my stuff going?" I adversely asked, asking more softer than last time. She noticed the change in my tone and smiled a little.

"Upstairs, first door on the left." She informed, flashed me a smile and skipped back into the kitchen.

So that's where that delicious smell was coming from...

I shrugged it off and stacked three big, brown boxes on top of each other, taking them all together to 'my' new room.

I followed my guardians directions to my room. I opened the double French doors and my jaw dropped.

My rooms was white and gold, and humongous!

My bed was against a far wall on the left side, it's comforter was white with faint golden roses adorning it, my pillows were white with an outline of gold. My walls were the same design as my comforter. My carpet was cream white, and my ceiling had a swirly painting and design with a golden chandelier hanging. My armour was white and gold flowers and jewels. I had a white desk and a dresser and bookcase.

I do not belong here...