Chapter Six

As we walk closer to the throne, my apprehension grows. Who is this king? And why does he have such an interest in me?

He looks younger than I anticipated, although that doesn't count for much. His slick black hair is topped with a golden crown, and he sits completely still on his velvet, his eyes following us. This is who Celeste is in love with, I think, and then thank myself earnestly for reminding myself of my painful situation.

When we're directly in front of the throne, I see Celeste curtsy in the corner of my eye. I follow her lead, but, realizing I'm not wearing a dress, I figure I may as well bow instead.

The king smiles. "Aamira," he whispers, his voice a sensual caress, smooth like cream.

"Yep, that's me." I laugh nervously. "And you are..."

"The king," he answers, bemused.

I facepalm mentally. "No, I meant your- you know what, never mind."

The king hesitates a beat before he continues. "Well, Aamira, I'm sure you're wondering why I brought you here."

I nod uncomfortably.

"I suppose I should tell you the truth. The truth, Aamira...is that I'm in love with you."

My jaw drops.

Now, you see, if this had been said in earnest, perhaps I would have had a different reaction. But this was recited much more in the fashion of a Shakespearean monologue. Being performed by an extraordinarily dramatic, over-the-top actor.

"I think you are the most ravishing creature to walk any world since the dawn of time. Your strength in spirit is matched only by your splendorous beauty."

He pauses. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say, so I say nothing. His face looks naively confused.

"Have you not fallen madly in love with me? I have not met a single mortal woman who has been able to resist the sight of me. It's rather impossible, if I do say so myself."

Oh. Oh. This will be an uncomfortable conversation.

I try, I try so very hard not to let it out. I do. But one thing leads to another and in a moment I'm laughing. I'm laughing so hysterically that I'm bent over with tears streaming down my face. And in between my cackling, I wheeze out, "I'm gay."

I sense rather than see Celeste turn to look at me quickly before she glances away. Then I take a few deep breaths, until I'm finally looking the king in the face.

Then it hits me. I just laughed at a king. And denied him what he wants. He could kill me for this.

But instead, his face looks shocked. "I see." There's a beat, and he blinks. "I must say, I do feel rather foolish now." He purses his lips before pulling a list from his pocket. After skimming it for a minute, he says, "Oh, Celeste? Would you be a dear and bring a certain Lillian White of Derbyshire, England to me? Not now, of course, you deserve a break, but say, next week?"
"Yes, sir," she replies, restrained laughter evident in her voice.

"Alright, well, best of luck to you, Aamira. Dismissed, I suppose."

I give a hurried bow before rushing out of the throne room. I hear feet behind me, but I don't slow down.

"Mimi?" I keep walking, not particularly sure of where I'm going. "Mimi!"

I sigh, turning slightly. "Wh-?"

Lips crash into mine. I freeze. Celeste is kissing me. Celeste is kissing me. She pulls away, her face unsure. "I'm so sorry, maybe I misinterpret-"