Chapter Five

I stand frozen. She left. She actually left.

Quinn clears his throat uncomfortably. "Well, uh. Welcome to the castle?"

I blink and look around. I had been so caught up in Celeste I hadn't even noticed my surroundings. We stand at the edge of the forest, in front of a grand, stone bridge. At the far end of the bridge lies a tall castle on a small island surrounded by water. It's stunningly beautiful, but it somehow seems to fit into the mortal world, unlike everything else I had seen here. Oh. Except when the sun hits it, and it almost glows.

Confused, I turn to Quinn. "I thought there weren't any portals here. That's why we had to walk."

He nods. "Yeah, that's right. But if we know someone's arriving, we can open a temporary portal for them only. When we couldn't find you, we decided it would be wise to have one of us go ahead. Where were you anyway?"

"I don't entirely know." I shrug, a little embarrassed. "I was just inspecting some moss, and when I looked up I was somewhere else, with these...horrible faeries. Can't say we were properly introduced, but I think one of them was named Arion?"

Quinn pales. "Arion? What the hell, Mimi? How did you get mixed up with him?"

"So he's...bad?"

"Bad? The things he and his crew do..." Quinn shudders. "I really don't think I can even say them. But he's nearly impossible to find, and he always gets away. He's literally the most wanted faerie in the kingdom!"

"Was," I correct him.

He scoffs. "Unless some new dashing rogue of whom I am unaware has suddenly made an appearance, he-" His eyes widen. "Oh. Oh."

"Yeah."

He looks concerned. "Mimi, what was he doing to you? Celeste doesn't just do that. She doesn't just kill faeries."

I grimace. "I don't know for sure. He was about to make me eat a faerie tart. So I assume make me do something...entertaining...and then kill me."

His eyes darken. "No wonder Celeste was so angry."

I gape. "No, I'm very much wondering why she was so angry. I mean, where did that even come from? It's not like I was trying to get captured by a bloodthirsty faerie gang."

Quinn looks at me incredulously. "Mimi, don't you get it? She lashed out because she was worried!"

I squint. "Her? Worried about me? Literally seconds before you arrived she reminded me that she only saved me because of the agreement."

He rolls his eyes. "If it were only because of the agreement, then why wasn't I there too? I agreed to your conditions as well." I pause, thinking. I'm uncertain now. "Mimi, she insisted on being the one to find you. She was so scared. And you have to admit, both of you said some pretty awful things back there."

"Me? She was the one who insulted my intelligence!"

"Because you told her she was bad at her job!"

I cross my arms. "Whatever, that's not really an insult."

"It is to her." He sighs. "Look, it's not my story to get into, but Celeste is really sensitive about that. Most people who work for the king get there because of wealth, or family ties. Even me, though I know it's surprising since I'm such a professional." He wiggles his eyebrows. I flip him off. "But Celeste didn't have any of that. She knew she had to work her way up to this position, and so she's worked her ass off to get to where she is now. And she still always feels like she's behind. So when someone says stuff like that about her job...it's hard for her."