Chapter 7:

(Narrator)

The children smiled and laughed as they ran around the lobby of Wrights' Family Orphanage. The adults stood at one wall almost lined perfectly nervously gossiping amongst one another. The children paid almost no mind to these whispers, all but one, or rather, two.

Kana sat at an old couch, reading the book in front of her to herself quietly. Some of the adults glanced at her with worry. The child was foreign, brought in by a mysterious woman who died on the steps of the doors just before they could get to her, the child had witnessed it all with her wide observant eyes. Who knows what the child could have seen arriving from who knows where in the lands of war. She had been here for only six months and there were already many quirks the adults had noticed about her. One of the most important of these quirks were her split personalities, as far as anyone could tell there were only two. Kana herself and her far more bubbly persona named KC.

Kana's bright eyes looked over at the women and men and they all averted their eyes.

"What do you think they're talking about KC?" Kana asked and a little voice in her head spoke.

'I don know, they've been jittery a lot huh?' Kana nodded.

"Maybe we'll find out soon?" Kana said turning back to her book at hand but then KC spoke again.

'Why not find out right now?' Kana shook her head.

"I wanna see what happens next, the boy just lost his mom and I think his friend is dead. Plus the monster is huge!" KC laughed in her mind.

'Nerd' She teased and Kana rolled her eyes. The very next day the girls got their answer.

As they walked to the lobby to sit on the couch and read again there was a scream that ripped through the normally peaceful hum of chatter. Kana peeked around the corner, book in hand to see a little girl covered in a dirty jacket that made the whole room reek of fire and ash. The girl screams for no one to touch her and about some bomb or something.

Kana understood but was hesitant until KC encouraged her to go with a soft 'go help her'. As Kana made her way over terrified adults parted away quickly and Kana ignored their stares.

She looked at the girl before her, she was about her age, very pretty but most of her facial features were obscured by her arms that clutched her hair and head as large rolls of tears streamed down her face that was scruffy and dirty. The tears made clear lines and some were far older than what Kana was seeing now. Beneath the oversized jacket, there was another sweater, in better conditions, it would have been the most marvelous sweater Kana would have ever laid eyes on but now it looked like something even a tattered old hobo wouldn't even wear.

Kana sat down before the girl pulling off her scarf, the green and blue colors wrapped themselves around the small girl and she paused trembling terribly as though she were cold and Kana tapped the back of her palm twice with a thin finger.

"Hey there," Kana greeted opening up her book smiling as best as she could. She was sadly not as sociable as KC and as much as Kana would like for KC to take over and interact to the girl instead KC wouldn't allow it. "Do you know the story of when there was once a great band of heroes?" She asked.

The little girl looked up at her, her wide hazel eyes danced around Kana's appearance and stopped dead on her eyes.

"No? That's okay, I can tell it to you if you'd like. It's a wonderful story really..." Kana paused and looked at the body language of the girl before her. Now with her arms opening up a little bit more Kana could take in more of her facial features. A little beauty mark was placed isolated just beside the corner of one of the girl's eyes. Many more walked across the bridge of her nose in wild arrangements. The girl had learned in just a little bit closer, her face scrunched up in confusion but her eyes lined with interest.