Chapter 9

(Narrator)

As Ashley and the girls walked out of the bathroom Ashley noticed a figure behind the stairs. She tapped Lexie's shoulder and the English stopped laughing and glanced to where Ashley was pointing.

Ashley, Lexie, and Mel walked cautiously towards the stairs hoping for the love of god one of the newbies hadn't tried to sneak in a boy to make out with like last year.

Thankfully their prayers were answers but their worry only grew and took form in a different way than before. Beneath the stairs curled up in the shadows was Kana. Even in the dim lighting, Ashley thought she looked like some foreign goddess. Sure, Kana's eyes were what called most people to her face or her little scar but those were merely minor details that tended to obscure most people's gazes from her face.

Kana was nothing less of beautiful though the girl refused to believe it herself. Her light olive skin didn't call much attention to herself in the swarm of skins at River Fork but in any light, Kana looked incredible. Even now with shadows crawling over her form Kana looked like the most gorgeous ghost of all time. Her thin and narrow face made her look like a star ready for the runway, her cheekbones were engraved on her face and it was slightly concerning considering how thin Kana was.

Ashley crouched down and reached forward to pat Kana's face so the girl would wake up but upon closer inspection, Ashley saw the bags under Kana's eyes. They were dark and looked as if they had been there every day of her life. When Ashley's hand made contact with the side of her face, Kana shriveled a little at her touch but soon leaned into her palm.

Kana made this small noise, like a groan or something but it seemed to rattle her whole body. She shifted and rolled to her side so she was closer to Ashley than before. Lexie put a hand on Ashley's shoulder startling her.

"I can carry her up," She offered. Ashley nodded and stepped aside so Lexie could do her thing.

Ashley watched with wonder as Lexie rolled up her sleeves, like she even needed too, and picked up Kana effortlessly. Lexie probably rolled up her sleeves just to show off her muscle though Ashley had to admit it was impressive. No matter how many times Ashley had seen Lexie lift people and carry them like they were grapes in her hands in rescue missions Ashley couldn't help but stare. Her friend, as showoffish, as she was, was shier than she would ever admit. Lexie was self conscious about her body and size having been the tallest of all of them before Kana had shown up.

Her short and stocky form left her looking like a war goddess in the making. The muscles on Lexie's arms popped out a little as she moved the sleeping girl in her arms a bit and Ashley followed blindly making her way up the stairs. Lexie was the true heartthrob of the River Fork girls. She was very gentle and easily flustered at the tiniest compliment, a very hard worker but who knew her own limitations but fought against them day by day.

Although her strength and determination were extremely charming points Ashley adored Lexie's reading glasses. Making Lexie become farsighted was the greatest blessing god could have given this world. Her reading glasses were something of rare occasion but Ashley loved to catch her with them on at any given opportunity. They always gave Lexie this certain charm Ashley couldn't quite describe.

Once they got to the dorm room Mel quietly opened the door as gently as she could and Lexie dropped Kana on her bed.

"So much for none of us getting any sleep," Mel commented and the other two shushed her.

"Mel, Kana literally fell asleep under the goddamn bloody stairs. The stairs of all places! Let the poor girl rest." Lexie whisper shouted at Mel and the smaller girl merely shrugged and climbed into bed.