Prologue

Background: black
Font: m o n o s p a c e
*

13-07-2017

Chance Ville, a lonely town far North of Canapé, was known for its rich story-telling and vibrant folklore. It was The Town for the Dreamers. Everyone in Chance Ville was at some point, exactly the same. Their heads were in the clouds. The biggest task in Chance Ville was picking true stories from crazy, old fairytales. And the latter was more quickly believed. They couldn't help it, it was their culture. Well, it had been, but that's history. It was now the 21st Century and the people of Chance Ville were doing what they liked to call "waking up".

In a tiny neighborhood in the centre of Chance Ville, Robin North lived with her partner Jesse Wrights. The house in which they lived had gone through several generations, time and tide. If those walls could talk - oh, the stories they'd tell. Its ancient decor was mind-boggling, yet an old-fashioned, chic home it was.

The majority of the residents in this neighborhood were either White or Asian...so Robin North, being a dark skinned black girl, was part of the minority. She was twenty-three.

Jesse Wrights worked as a junior editor for Chance Ville's only newspaper, named 'Bonjour!'. He was twenty-four years old.

~°~°~°~

"Right here, thanks."

"You don't want me to drive in?" The middle-aged, female driver turned to Robin.

"No, it's fine," Robin shook her head, "I'll walk."

Robin paid the taxi driver right at the top of Telesford street, then proceeded on a lone journey home. Her walk was only a minute or so, then she stopped right in front of the yellow-green house.

Jesse's average, grey convertible was already parked in the driveway, and upon seeing it Robin breathed a sigh of relief.

After fumbling with the keys for a while, she entered and found Jesse on the couch, stuffing his face with wedges. Robin closed the front door and walked further inside.

"Hey Rue," Jesse smiled. Then, he stood and made his way to Robin, towering over her. With her shoes off, Robin faced his torso.

"Hey..." She replied softly and sunk into his chest, "How have you been?"

He chuckled a bit, then wrapped his arms around her chubby waist.

Robin had had a long day. She longed to tell Jesse about the eerie stranger she had met much earlier on. He had approached her, knife in hand and dressed in all white. His manner, his walk - everything about him - had screamed danger. Fear. And no one else in the library seemed to notice. That wasn't the first time, and Robin knew better than to talk about it. The words never left her mouth. Besides, Jesse's favourite names for Robin were 'crazy' and 'delusional'.

"By the way, I'm not gonna be here this evening."

"Why not?" Robin pulled away from Jesse's embrace to stare him dead in the face. His blue-grey eyes were dull and faint.

"Fortunately for me," he sighed, "I have a meeting with my team of editors. Our boss called it, I have no choice."

After, he cupped Robin's face, planted a kiss on her lips and then led her to the couch.

"But how come? Are you getting fired?" Robin's curiousity sparked.

She snuggled up next to Jesse, pressing for insight.

"No," he laughed again, "It's about promotions."

"Oh?"

"Yup."