7

Dear Mr. Nobody,
Parents are two in a million. Sometimes one. We don't get to choose them, neither do they choose us. Some of us spend our whole lives trying to make them proud, while others can't get close. After their divorce, my mother moved to Acacia and my father died a few years later.  But Nobody, you don't know about any of that. You don't even have parents. I grew heartless and selfish. I didn't care about any one else, I didn't consider anyone's feelings. I've made a lot of bad decisions in my life. Some I regret, others I replay in my head and smile. Is it still a bad decision if no one finds out? In fact: Je ne regrette rien. From here on out, there are gaps in my memory.

7

Day Seven.
08-03-2015

La Coeur was, by far, the best thing about Canapé.

I admired the gorgeous landscape - some buildings were a staggering height while others were only a few metres tall. The streets were pristine and every passer-by moved in an orderly fashion. I watched the swift cyclists cruise through the biker's lane across from me, and wondered how great that must feel. Last but not least was the wide, deep lake that separated La Coeur from its other half, Petite Coeur.

Petite Coeur was a tiny island where only a few people lived. For basic supplies such as food and clothing, they travelled almost daily to the mainland via fishing boats. The trip only lasted ten minutes.

 The capital was simply magical.

The other tour guides and I arrived in front of a grand hotel, just an hour before the opening of the festival. I hopped off the bus and looked up at the tall, classy building. There was a sleek, red carpet laid before the entrance and a muscular man dressed in all black beside the door.

"Alright guys, we need to stick together. It's a big city and we're only here for the next two days," Andra spoke to us using a megaphone, "So, I'll be pairing you up."

I groaned silently. Was this primary school? I was pretty sure that each of us could handle our own stories.

Andra took five minutes to call out the list of pairs, before everyone moved off toward the hotel entrance.

Across the road from where I stood, I noticed a telephone booth, with only a couple of people waiting their turn. I tugged my large suitcase behind me as I prepared to cross the street.

"Now wait just a minute."

Michael stood with crossed arms, tapping his foot demandingly. I gave him a blank look.

"What?"

"Andra said we have to stick together," he insisted, "Seems to me that we have a straggler."

"Seriously?" I raised a brow, "I just need to make a call-"

"Oh you can. But after we've checked in. That was the plan."

Michael turned on his heel and continued on his way to the entrance. Since when did he care about strict rules? Unwillingly, I made my way back to the group.

Upon entrance to the hotel, I was engulfed in pure awe. The waiting room was set up like a modern, yet homely, living room and opposite to that was a snack bar and vending machines. I sucked in a breath and pulled my luggage to the counter. My co-workers made a short line behind me and not too long after, I was in a crowded elevator awaiting my stop.