1) He tries to initiate conversation

He’s obviously trying to keep the conversation going with you. He’s trying to get somewhere. So he keeps asking, and asking, some seemingly irrelevant questions, just to keep things going.

Maybe you’re at a club, or at some house party, or you just ran into him in the street. Some questions are just asked out of politeness, but as soon as you notice that it’s not something that he’s asking just out of a necessity, it’s probably because he likes you. Now, just because he asked you “where are you from?” it doesn’t mean he likes you. Use common sense. Maybe he’s just making small talk and being nice.

It also depends where he asks you and what, but the point is – if he’s trying to have a conversation with you, and you just met, he probably likes you. Small talk by itself is not a big enough sign, still – it’s a plus. When a guy doesn’t like you, he simply won’t put in the effort unless he has something to gain out of it (like at work, or he wants you to help you with his grades or an exam.)

The fact that he’s talking to you when there’s no need to do so (because of work or something), is a good sign in itself. If he asks you questions and tries to dig deeper and find out more about you, that’s a good sign.