In The Between

In The Between

Search for me in the pauses between my words. In the silent moments.
That's where I like to hide.
Look for me beneath the lines of my favorite books. In the between places.
That's where you'll find me.
Read me in the eloquence of my eyes.
In the secret stories.
That's where I'll be.

-VASILIKI

I was walking home from a long day of work at the construction site, muscles strained and aching. I sighed, finally within eyesight of the house. It was hardly better than a box on stilts, with an entrance and rough  carved out windows. The paint used to be white and smooth- making it seem at least somewhat decent- but now it was a molding yellow, darkened with water damage. It'd need to be fixed soon.

Breathing in the cool night air and then letting it out in a puff, I hoped that Dad was already passed out on the couch and we weren't going to fight tonight. It was late and I needed sleep, not more bruises.

I walked past our house to the neighbor's to pick up the littles. My heavy, beat up boots thudded on the wooden boards as I groaned up the uneven stairs. Settling my worries and putting my aches and pains in the back of my mind, I eased a smile on my face and knocked on the door.

The second my knuckles connected with the red wood, it flew open and a small body launched itself into my arms.

"Luc!"

I swallowed my groan of pain as I wrapped my arms around my baby sister, one hand stroking her hair.

"Hey Lira, how was your day? Did Thomas make fun of you again?" I walked into the house with her still in my arms, three other little heads popping out from the warm living room to smile, wave, then pop right back into the warmth.

Lira pulled her head back and grinned at me, "Yeah, but I told him if he made fun of my braids again, then you'd beat him up."

I tried not to fall for her little grin and scold her for saying that, but the missing tooth and her messy brown braids made it impossible not to.

"You devil, you," I shook my head with a small smile, setting her back on the floor.

Kimmy- the woman who helped take care of the kids after school- walked around the corner, arms opened wide with a big smile.

"Luc! You look haggard. Come here, baby doll," I chuckled and bent down to let her envelope me in her little arms, "We need to get food in you before you get goin'."

"Thank you Kimmy," I gave her a squeeze and pulled back, pecking her forehead, "For taking care of us all these years, you don't look a day over forty-five."